Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Bread machine breads >

Bread machine breads

Bread machine breads

Old 06-17-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by sandilee
I am on my 3rd machine! Love the homemade bread. I was thinking the other day to get mine out and make some bread. Since its just he/I here now, I don't use it as often, however, I can make some bread and freeze the remainder.

This machine makes the crust a little harder than the older ones did. There is a thermostat where you can adjust it. Haven't done it yet.
If anyone has, please post.
Try setting on the lightest color of crust. I do this so it won't be so hard.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
At my local Savers I found lots of bread machines that were still like new. Bought one for $12 that looked unused.
Found out that people use a recipe and it comes out hard so they get rid of the machine. Just like hand made bread it has to feel right to come out right.
I live in Phx AZ so you need to add more water than a recipe calls for, lots more. It needs to feel soft and wet to the touch.
I test the dough several times during mix cycle. Mine now comes out just like homemade.
I love the book Whole Grain Breads by Machine or Hand. Author Beatrice Ojakangas. I have to add alot more water than the recipes call for, not quite 1/4 cup more.
The family loves to get a loaf of my bread and it is so easy to make with a machine.
I have about 6 books on BMB. I have got a lot off the internet. Have one for a Italian herb & cheese that is wonderful. It also makes the best croutons you ever ate after it gets stale.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:51 AM

My bread machine is a busy appliance.

One of the things I make is homemade pizza. The crust is really easy....half a recipe of white or whole grain bread in the bread machine on the "dough" setting. Once it's kneaded and has a first rise in the machine I stop the machine, roll out the dough, add pizza sauce, toppings and mozzarella. Bake at about 425 degrees for about 15 minutes. Better than take-out and a lot cheaper.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:24 AM

My first bread machine died a few months ago and I had a new one on the way from Amazon within minutes :-)

I do use it for just a "mixer" and shape/bake it myself.

To those who are having trouble: dry to liquid is NOT an exact science. It depends on the humidity how much liquid you need. That can vary EVERY time so I add a little less than the recipe calls for then slowly add more while it is mixing until the dough is the texture I am looking for.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:59 AM

Debra Mc wrote

I have about 6 books on BMB. I have got a lot off the internet. Have one for a Italian herb & cheese that is wonderful. It also makes the best croutons you ever ate after it gets stale.[/quote]

Do you remember where you got the recipe Debr? Would love to have it. The one I have is OK but can't get it tweaked right.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sunny580
Debra Mc wrote

I have about 6 books on BMB. I have got a lot off the internet. Have one for a Italian herb & cheese that is wonderful. It also makes the best croutons you ever ate after it gets stale.
Do you remember where you got the recipe Debr? Would love to have it. The one I have is OK but can't get it tweaked right.[/quote]

I will scan it & post here or pm me your regular email & I will send to you.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:56 PM

Several friends have asked for this recipe so thought I would just post it here for all. I got it from place called Recipe Circus on internet. Hope you all enjoy. Deb

Italian Herb & Cheese bread.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]214081[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Attachment-214075.doc (41.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 06-20-2011, 06:20 AM

Thank you Debra. Sounds delicious - will make Wed.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:57 AM

oh dear I got my bread machine back last Dec. I just may have to take it out of the box and try it out now, LOL
Old 06-23-2011, 04:41 PM

Although my bread maker is in the crawl space....here are the favourites I used to make.... all from a little booklet from Rogers Flour, I see there are different proportions for the 1 pound/ 1 1/2 pound and 2 pound... please PM me if you will actually be making this bread, thanks!