Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Breaded chicken??? >

Breaded chicken???

Breaded chicken???

Old 06-24-2015, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Brine is a mixture of salts an vinegars herbs and water. Different recipes for different meats. You clean up the meat then put it into the brine mixture usually over night. Works like a marinate. May be other opinions but that is how I've done it.
Well good to know, thanks tessagin! I still make fried chicken occasionally (like maybe once or twice a year), usually cook mine like you except add a envelope of hidden valley ranch, yummy!
Old 06-24-2015, 03:54 PM

Our newest favorite coating for pan or oven fried is instant mashed potatoes!! So easy and so good! Mix one egg with 2 tablespoons of milk and mix well. Use double the amount for a larger amount of meat. Dip in liquid, shake off then lay in seasoned mashed potatoes (they come that way usually) pat, turn over and pat in potatoes again. You could also put the potatoe flakes in a bag and shake with the meat.
This is especially delicious on fish.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Tessagin, we don't fry chicken anymore either. It must be over 25 years since I have fried chicken in the house. The smell of any fried food just drives me crazy, even bacon! When my DH fries bacon I open windows and doors even if it is cold outside. I like to eat fried food - just can't handle the smell, so if we want it, it has to come from somewhere else.
I don't care for the smell too much either and frying can be messy. My husband loves bacon so he has started buying the precooked bacon. Seems happy with it.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:24 AM

I don't fry bacon...put in the microwave...just shy of a minute per slice....use one of those bacon things so dripping are below bacon..no mess....
Old 06-25-2015, 05:22 AM

You do not have to brine chicken to fry it. I was frying chicken at age 10 but don't do it much anymore. We washed it, dried it and then dipped it in flour, dipped it in an egg mixture and then back into the flour mixture before dropping it in hot oil or Crisco. We seasoned the flour with salt and pepper and paprika. Yummy.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:21 PM

I just rinse and pat dry the chicken pieces and fry them with no coating. It tastes so good, I don't need anyhting else on it. Next time one of you fries chicken, take a piece and fry it just as it is. You will be amazed. My family loves it this way and no extra calories or carbs.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:31 PM

I don't pan fried chicken anymore. I make oven fried chicken. Wash chicken under running water. Salt and Pepper it. Put some Bisquik in a plastic bag. Add chicken and shake. Place on foil lined baking sheet sprayed with butter favored Pam or any other baking spray. Then spray the top of the chicken w/ Pam. Bake in 450 degree oven until done. I usually turn it about half way through cooking. Less grease when oven fried.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:11 PM

we fry fish with cornmeal and potato flakes shake in a bag some times with cracker crumbs or flour just make sure same amount potao flakes.the flakes seem to mpt hold greese old firehouse receipt
Old 06-28-2015, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by mlt150 View Post
I don't buy any meat or poultry from Walmart anymore...it was tasteless. Strange, but I love Sam's meat/poultry and I know it is the same company.
Same here! I bought steaks one time at Walmart and the texture was so strange, along with the taste, I had to throw them out. Sam's has a butcher cutting the meat and they don't "add" anything to it.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

I always soak my chicken in salt water for about 15 min. before frying it...