Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Butternut Squash Soup >

Butternut Squash Soup

Butternut Squash Soup

Old 10-17-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Slbram17, I'd never eaten any sort of squash till I came to live in Iowa. Same goes for sweet potatoes. My sister got me started on them and now they're a staple in this house. As to peeling squash, my 1st go at it was with an electric knife as it was so hard to peel. Then someone told me to stab the heck out of the whole squash, place it on a cookie and into the oven for 30 minutes on each side. Worked like a charm. So easy to peel after that. Last year I had a bumper crop of butternut squash so every day I would throw 6 onto a cookie sheet and bake for the time needed each day till I got them all done. Still have 7 bags cubed in the freezer from last year but only have 8 squash this year after sharing with my neighbors. Nice thing about squash, you don't have to deal with them right away. I usually set them on my basement sink counter till around January or February and then deal with them. Same goes for the onions. They get pulled dried, then braided and hung up out in the rear garage till around January or the 1st real cold freeze, then I peel, dice and freeze to put into my soups and whatever.
I like the idea of prep ahead and freeze. Thank you for sharing your techniques.
Serita
Old 10-17-2015, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
I've made it, and it's wonderful, especially this time of year.
I didn't know what to expect...I love soup but try to stay away from the cream based soups generally. This recipe seemed to be hearty without the cream or fat. I am so happy with it, and glad to hear someone else enoys it too.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

Does any one see where it says what one serving is in fluid ounces or cups?
Old 10-17-2015, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Does any one see where it says what one serving is in fluid ounces or cups?
Sorry, I didn't see anything about that either. I did see where it makes eight servings though if that helps.

Serita
Old 10-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

If you have a little leftover squash from a meal...add it to potato soup. I cook my potatoes with celery and onions in water. Then add milk to the vegetables. Make a rue with milk and flour to thicken the liquids. Add the squash. Cube some ham or fry some bacon. I always add my meats to soups and stews last to keep the meat flavor in the meat. Salt and pepper to taste. Cream cheese can be added if desired or some shredded sharp cheddar.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

Will have to try this one soon!
Old 10-24-2015, 05:23 PM

Just finished off a batch of this. I couldn't find the slow cooker (long story) so I made it on the stovetop, let it cool a bit and ran it through the blender, so it was silky smooth. Heated it up with a splash of sherry and saved adding the nutmeg until it was in the bowl, grating fresh. Good stuff.