Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Butternut Squash Soup >

Butternut Squash Soup

Butternut Squash Soup

Old 10-15-2015, 07:23 PM

Default Butternut Squash Soup

I made this today in the slow cooker. It is delicious and wanted to pass it on.

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Butt...ooker-33494509

Serita
Old 10-15-2015, 07:54 PM

Sounds good. I like pumpkin soup so this would be similar. Slow cookers are such a convenience.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Power Poster

​Looks tasty!
Old 10-16-2015, 08:47 AM

Found one online that uses cream cheese, celery, carrots, regular potatoes, onions, ginger and cayenne pepper. Thought strange with those combinations but it very good. Its my go-to soup during the winter time. Think I throw in some red peppers for a bit of color too. I make a large soup pot full, put half in the freezer for a later time and eat the other half within a 2 week period so I don't get tired of it too quickly.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:50 AM

Looks delicious!
I recently discovered most stores carry fresh diced butternut squash in a package in the produce department. Of course it is a little more expensive, but so worth the convenience.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by NiaJane View Post
Looks delicious!
I recently discovered most stores carry fresh diced butternut squash in a package in the produce department. Of course it is a little more expensive, but so worth the convenience.
Last time I tried cubing butternut squash, I almost gave up. I read online to put some slash marks in it, and then microwave for 3 to 5 minutes. Made a huge difference. I used one of the y peelers (new so that blade was sharp), and it peeled great.

Not too bad really for a good homemade soup, or whatever else you can make with the squash.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Found one online that uses cream cheese, celery, carrots, regular potatoes, onions, ginger and cayenne pepper. Thought strange with those combinations but it very good. Its my go-to soup during the winter time. Think I throw in some red peppers for a bit of color too. I make a large soup pot full, put half in the freezer for a later time and eat the other half within a 2 week period so I don't get tired of it too quickly.
I made a crockpot of the soup, so had quite a bit. I gave two quart jars away, leaving us a jar and a half. I could freeze some of that too.

I bought some ginger (root), and might try adding that to the recipe. I did put some cayenne pepper in it because I like a little heat added to the recipe.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:45 AM

I've made it, and it's wonderful, especially this time of year.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:49 AM

Thank you for sharing this.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:15 AM

Slbram17, I'd never eaten any sort of squash till I came to live in Iowa. Same goes for sweet potatoes. My sister got me started on them and now they're a staple in this house. As to peeling squash, my 1st go at it was with an electric knife as it was so hard to peel. Then someone told me to stab the heck out of the whole squash, place it on a cookie and into the oven for 30 minutes on each side. Worked like a charm. So easy to peel after that. Last year I had a bumper crop of butternut squash so every day I would throw 6 onto a cookie sheet and bake for the time needed each day till I got them all done. Still have 7 bags cubed in the freezer from last year but only have 8 squash this year after sharing with my neighbors. Nice thing about squash, you don't have to deal with them right away. I usually set them on my basement sink counter till around January or February and then deal with them. Same goes for the onions. They get pulled dried, then braided and hung up out in the rear garage till around January or the 1st real cold freeze, then I peel, dice and freeze to put into my soups and whatever.