Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A cake with beans in it

I make a pinto-bean pie but have never tried them in a cake.

Blog Entries
    The bean cake is delicious and just like the tomato soup cake you do not taste the beans. Try it you'll like it. LOL

My dear MIL Emma taught me this trick with pinto beans. Say you have a recipe that calls for walnuts, but you have none. Take some half cooked Pinto's, they should be firm but cutable, they should have just started to change from mottled to brown, sort of grayish. Cool them down and chop them into the right size and incorporate them into any baked dish, works wonderful in brownies or carrot cake. After the cake is cooked, they look, taste and have the exact mouth feel of walnuts. My kids could never taste the difference. This would be wonderful for children with a nut allergy. My kids did not have a nut allergy but we did have a very tight budget. Pinto's were a lot cheaper than walnuts.

about 2 degrees north of H-E-double hockey sticks
    I have a friend who LOVES pinto beans. Forwarded the first recipe to her and I want to try the second recipe myself. Maybe this weekend will be a good time to bake if it's a little cooler. (Triple digit temps makes me not want to use the stove/oven at all!)

i have made one years ago it is very good

YES, I made the pork & beans cake; found it a hit with friends. Put the P&B i food processor with pineapple, then into the cake. I seasoned my with nutmeg and a bit of ginger. Tasted like a pumpkin or squash or sweet potato cake/pie.

To me, Mexican that I am, pinto beans, mashed or otherwise refried with bacon grease rolled in a made from stratch hot flour or corn tortilla. But I'm willing to try them in cake.

I've made brownies and cookies both with beans. It makes the baked item a little chewier but if you match the color of the bean with the baked items it actually tastes pretty good! Give it a try, you've got nothing to lose!

Blog Entries
    Nope, not going to try it. Had too many 'bean cakes' while living in Asia. But, thanks for sharing!

I have made apple pie with no apples for years. It is great and you cannot tell it is not the real thing. Most times I do not tell anyone what is in it until they have eaten it. All are surprised...even the most picky of eaters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast