Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Candy Melts (TM) vs real chocolate >

Candy Melts (TM) vs real chocolate

Candy Melts (TM) vs real chocolate

Old 12-10-2015, 05:27 PM

I cannot bear the thought of eating parrafin. I melt chocolate chips for my Buckeye Balls. At times, I will add a tablespoon of Crisco to help the chocolate set up faster--(better to clog those arteries than plug 'em with wax).
I do often melt the chocolate melts and find that they set up without any help---just need to allow enough time or put the cookies on the screened porch for a bit. (We live in Michigan and it's chilly out there).
Old 12-10-2015, 07:52 PM

If I could find a place with good chocolate for sale, I would buy some. Since I can't find the chocolate, I use the candy melts for dipping and molding. I find they seem to work about the same.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

http://www.foodista.com/question/WW2...ax-safe-to-eat

apparently paraffin is not digested and goes through the system. From what I can gather (but it is early here and I'm only half done with my coffee) it is safe to ingest. I think it is in food some of us eat.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:13 PM

Wait for me!!!
Old 12-12-2015, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
http://www.foodista.com/question/WW2...ax-safe-to-eat

apparently paraffin is not digested and goes through the system. From what I can gather (but it is early here and I'm only half done with my coffee) it is safe to ingest. I think it is in food some of us eat.
I just asked this same question to my candy store lady. She said do not use paraffin because it is a wax not digestible. There is a product out called paraffin crystals which is a shortening based product that is digestible.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
I just asked this same question to my candy store lady. She said do not use paraffin because it is a wax not digestible. There is a product out called paraffin crystals which is a shortening based product that is digestible.
Thanks for that information. How did we all survive is beyond me - I think Hershey or nestles chocolate has or had paraffin in it. Do you have a source for the correct crystals? All I could find was Paramount Crystals which seems to be shredded paraffin. So there must be something else.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Thanks for that information. How did we all survive is beyond me - I think Hershey or nestles chocolate has or had paraffin in it. Do you have a source for the correct crystals? All I could find was Paramount Crystals which seems to be shredded paraffin. So there must be something else.
I suggest going to a bakery store that sells items for the home baker. They should have it and it is called Paramount Cyrstals. Good luck in finding it.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
Since it's the season of dipping just about anything in chocolate, mainly white chocolate and then sprinkling everything with crushed candy canes. I was wondering if there is a difference in the way real white chocolate would melt, and stick to, and dry, like the round candy melts that we're used to.
I just like the idea of "real" chocolate. Have any of you experimented with both and noticed a difference not just in taste but the way it handles when used as a dip for say.......pretzels.
Here's some tips to using the candy melts successfully.
http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/04/...t-candy-melts/
Old 12-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

My mouth thinks that the round melts do not taste the same as what I will call real chocolate. I like the real thing, especially DARK.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:30 PM

As far as I've always understood, paraffin is to keep the chocolate from melting onto your fingers when handling/eating the chocolate items. I prefer to use a bark melted with chocolate but it may also have paraffin in it for all I know. lol