Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Canning Green Beans - Question

They will be good as long as they are sealed.

I have green beans in home canned jars from back in 2006 and they are still great! And yes, some of them have lost some liquid, but still good.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    great topic...I am going to be PC for the first time as well this week...green beans too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Anybody ever make Leather Britches? They taste very good when cooked.

You simply string them and don't cut the beans. Sew through them with a heavy thread and hang till dry, Grandma used to put them on the porch or attic, out of the weather. Then they'd go into paper sacks which still hung in the attic. Then when they were put into soup or whatever, had a stronger taste.
    I remember learning how to "sew beans". Making sure you put beans of the same size on the string & spacing them 1/4 inch apart so they would dry evenly. Pinning them to hangers and putting them on the clothes line in the sun. Yummy in soup in the middle of winter.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimito2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Anybody ever make Leather Britches? They taste very good when cooked.

You simply string them and don't cut the beans. Sew through them with a heavy thread and hang till dry, Grandma used to put them on the porch or attic, out of the weather. Then they'd go into paper sacks which still hung in the attic. Then when they were put into soup or whatever, had a stronger taste.
    I remember learning how to "sew beans". Making sure you put beans of the same size on the string & spacing them 1/4 inch apart so they would dry evenly. Pinning them to hangers and putting them on the clothes line in the sun. Yummy in soup in the middle of winter.
    WOW..never heard of that, but it is interesting..beats dehydrating them I guess..that is what I do with the END of the garden veggies..dehydrate then stick in jars to make soup in the winter!

I have heard people speak of Leather Britches and knew that they were dried beans but never knew how they did them. I suppose you could make them in the dehydrator also, which I do have in the basement. I will have to check on that also. This board is great for learning new things! Ann

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2