Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Caramel Apple Bread, recipe as requested

Super Member pastimesquiltdesign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Caramel Apple Bread, recipe as requested

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Caramel Apple Bread

I'm having a lot of fun with my bread machine lately. Today I tried Apple Pie Bread which I made into rolls and added caramel and pecans. You will need the following ingredients:
    For the bread

1 cup buttermilk
    1/4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate
    2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
    3 Tblsp brown sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 Tblsp vital wheat gluten
    1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    3 1/2 cups bread flour
    1 cup finely chopped apple

For the caramel topping
    1/2 cup melted butter
    2/3 cup brown sugar
    2 tsp light Karo syrup
    2/3 cup chopped pecans

Slightly warm the buttermilk and frozen apple juice concentrate in a 2 cup glass measuring cup in the microwave. Stir in the yeast and brown sugar. Allow to stand until foamy.
    Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl. (or your bread machine) Add the liquid and stir well. Do not add the apples yet. Knead until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
    Peel and finely chop an apple to make 1 cup. I used my Ninja food processor to cut the chunks really small. Note: Do this after the bread has risen so the apples will not turn brown before you are ready to use them.

Lightly dust your work surface with a small amount of flour. Punch the dough down and roll into a rectangle. Spread the chopped apples over the dough.

Starting with the long edge, roll the dough up tightly and pinch the edges to seal. Cut the rolls about 1/2 " wide using a string. Lay the string under the dough, cross it at the top and pull tightly. This makes a nice cut without smashing down the dough.

In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a rolling boil. This only takes a minute or so. Divide caramel between two 9" cake pans. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top.

Place the rolls on top of the caramel. Note: Since this was my first time experimenting with this recipe, I used only one pan, cut the rolls too thick, and placed them too closely together. The center rolls did not have room to raise properly and were a little doughy. You will probably be placing about 7 rolls per pan rather than the 12 shown.

Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Invert the pan onto a plate while still warm.

Happy quilting to all of my new friends on the quilting board http://pastimesquiltdesign.blogspot.com

Oh my, that looks wonderful! I'll have to save this one for when I want to be REALLY bad!

Looks so good. Thanks for the recipe.
    Patimint

Blog Entries
    That looks yummy, but not WW friendly... LOL

KLO
    Blog Entries
    My husband loves anything with apples or caramel so I printed this off as I will want to try this soon. Thanks for this recipe.