Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cherry Nut Cake >

Cherry Nut Cake

Cherry Nut Cake

Old 12-22-2012, 08:08 AM

Default Cherry Nut Cake

My mother (born 1905) made a cherry nut cake at Christmas time every year that I can remember. It contains maraschino cherries, pecans, crushed pineapple, wine. I never thought to ask where the recipe came from until after she passed away. Must have come down one of the family lines. Anyone recognize this recipe?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I can't help you though you have me intrigued!

Some "clues" that may help others provide the info you want .....
* what type of a cake does this make? ... eg. dense like a pound cake? more like a regular cake? similar to a Christmas or Fruit Cake?

* heritage? what is the background of your family? you might want to google, accordingly, eg: Norwegian Cherry Nut Cake, etc.

Good Luck!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

We never think of things like that until it's too late. I hope someone can help because I am not familiar with your cake. My great Aunt used to make clear candies in mint flavors that my Granny called stain glass candies. My great Aunt did not share the recipe and I often think of those tasty minty jewels at Christmas time.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
We never think of things like that until it's too late. I hope someone can help because I am not familiar with your cake. My great Aunt used to make clear candies in mint flavors that my Granny called stain glass candies. My great Aunt did not share the recipe and I often think of those tasty minty jewels at Christmas time.
Oh so true, Tartan! ... one that come to mind for me this Christmas is that I do not have the recipe for "the" Christmas Pudding that my Mom always made! _
Old 12-23-2012, 05:12 AM

Friendship cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a cake that multiplies with a starter liquid and everyday you do or add something to it

Great memories I use to make those delicious cakes. Yummy

FRIENDSHIP CAKE STARTER
Printed from COOKS.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 (16 oz.) can fruit cocktail
1 (16 oz.) can peaches
2 1/2 c. sugar
1 (20 oz.) can pineapple tidbits
2 1/2 c. sugar
1 (8 oz.) jar maraschino cherries
2 1/2 c. sugar

Combine fruit cocktail with juice, peaches with juice and 2 1/2 cups sugar in large jar. Stir with wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved, cover. Let stand at room temperature. Stir each day for 10 days. Add pineapple with juice and 2 1/2 cups sugar, mix well.
Stir each day for 10 days. Add cherries (cut in half) with juice and remaining 2 1/2 cups sugar, mix well. Stir each day for 10 days. Store in refrigerator. May store in refrigerator indefinitely. Yields enough for 7 cakes.

FRIENDSHIP CAKE:

1 (2 layer) pkg. white cake mix
1 1/2 c. Friendship Cake Starter
2/3 c. oil
4 eggs
1 c. chopped pecans

Combine cake mix, Friendship Cake Starter, oil and eggs in bowl, mix well. Stir in pecans. Pour into greased and floured Bundt pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour. Cool in pan few minutes. Invert onto serving plate. Can be baked in 2 loaf pans.

Hope this is what you are looking for if not well it was great for me to remembering and get the recipe LOLOL

Last edited by chatonne40; 12-23-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:47 AM

It is like a fruit cake.
My mother's folks are Scotch Irish.
My dad's folks are of German descent and Southern tobacco plantation.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by OrangeSherbet View Post
It is like a fruit cake.
My mother's folks are Scotch Irish.
My dad's folks are of German descent and Southern tobacco plantation.
So try some googles with the nationality included and you never know what might pop up!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:29 PM

Default Cherry Nut Cake

Originally Posted by OrangeSherbet View Post
My mother (born 1905) made a cherry nut cake at Christmas time every year that I can remember. It contains maraschino cherries, pecans, crushed pineapple, wine. I never thought to ask where the recipe came from until after she passed away. Must have come down one of the family lines. Anyone recognize this recipe?
My mother (born 1915) also made that cake. She put a marshmallow icing on it and decorated it with some chopped cherries and whole English walnuts on top. We couldn't wait to cut it. I still make it occasionally for Christmas but hate to unless I have a lot of help eating it. I could eat the whole thing by myself! The only difference in your mom's and mine is the wine. Guess we didn't have wine. Here's mine. See if it is like yours.

Cherry Nut Cake

Sift together:
3 c. flour
1-1/2 c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
Cream together:
1 c. shortening (I use Wesson Oil)
3 eggs
1 large jar chopped marschino cherries, with some juice (see instructions below)
3 c. chopped English walnuts
Pineapple juice (see instructions below)
Drain cherry juice into cup and finish cup with pineapple juice. Add to flour ingredients & mix well.
Pour into bundt pan and bake approximately 1 hour at 350 degrees.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:39 AM

Default Did you put in the crushed pineapple or only juice?

This sounds delicious! Did you put the drained crushed pineapple in or only the juice, if so, how much?
Cherry Nut Cake

Sift together:
3 c. flour
1-1/2 c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
Cream together:
1 c. shortening (I use Wesson Oil)
3 eggs
1 large jar chopped marschino cherries, with some juice (see instructions below)
3 c. chopped English walnuts
Pineapple juice (see instructions below)
Drain cherry juice into cup and finish cup with pineapple juice. Add to flour ingredients & mix well.
Pour into bundt pan and bake approximately 1 hour at 350 degrees.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-26-2012, 01:05 PM

I used the whole #2 can of crushed pineapple mixed with 2 cups of sugar and cooked down until thick.
The recipe also calls for 1 cup port wine, 6 egg yolks (whites beaten and folded in last), 4 cups pecans, 1/2 lb margerine, 16 oz marschino cherries cut in half, 2 more cups of sugar.

Your recipe sounds VERY similar. Where did it come from? Let me know if you want the exact recipe.