Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cold main dish for this Friday's kids soccer group potluck? HELP >

Cold main dish for this Friday's kids soccer group potluck? HELP

Cold main dish for this Friday's kids soccer group potluck? HELP

Old 11-14-2016, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

Default Cold main dish for this Friday's kids soccer group potluck? HELP

Like the title says I need to bring a main dish for this Friday's soccer group potluck. It will be about 3 hours before they will eat so I want to bring a cold main dish suitable for parents and kids plus easy and affordable for me. It needs to be for 10 people. At this point I can only think of buns with cheese and cold cuts but I am not sure if that is main dish enough.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:55 PM

I like using the wraps, rolling them tightly and cutting them into pinwheels. They are easier to handle than a sandwich and you can see what is in them. You could do a spinach wrap (veggie) with leaf lettuce, shredded carrots, slivered cucumbers, slivered green olives, a little feta cheese and toss it in a little Italian dressing for extra taste. Use the original wrap with leaf lettuce, strips of tomato, deli cheese and deli meat. You could add baby carrots and apple slices to the tray and I think that would be enough to call it a main dish.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Pasta salad! I like to use the multicolored veggie rotini, canned 3-bean salad, artichoke hearts, green peas, and imitation crab meat (or chicken). Then I toss it all with ceasar dressing and douse it good with parmesan cheeze.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:10 PM

Multi colored pasta spirals, cut cucumbers, diced peppers, diced cheese. pepperoni slices, cut celery, Italian dressing.....mixed and put on ice till ready to serve!
Old 11-15-2016, 04:31 AM

Chicken SaladShredded chicken breasts, grapes cut in half or quarters, celery sliced on the diagonal and mayo to hold together. Youcan add shivered almonds if you like.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:05 AM

I was going to suggest a cold pasta salad as well. All of the above suggestions are great for mix-ins. Make ahead, chill in the fridge for however long and away you go!
Old 11-15-2016, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by red-warrior View Post
Chicken SaladShredded chicken breasts, grapes cut in half or quarters, celery sliced on the diagonal and mayo to hold together. Youcan add shivered almonds if you like.
Hmmm maybe this in tortilla skins like the above mentioned roll up. I thought the tri colored pasta salad sounded good but none of the kids did. Go figure.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

How would I keep the roll up skin/tortilla from getting soggy?
Old 11-15-2016, 12:46 PM

I pat the lettuce until it's dry and squeeze the cukes, tomatoes and olives in paper towels until they are dry. I mix the veggies & torn lettuce in a bowl and put in a very small amount of Italian dressing, not enough to soak the wrap. Don't use mayo or mustard in the meat roll up and make sure any veggies you add are dry. If you make the roll ups about an hour before you go they shouldn't be soggy or wet. Chicken salad can be used but I do the whole veggie wrap (cut it in half) and add a lettuce leaf to hold the chicken salad in the wrap. Using celery instead of grapes helps make the Chicken salad drier. Chicken salad seems to fall out of a pin wheel to easily.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:08 PM

My favorite go to is Taco Salad. The bowl is always empty when I bring it home