Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Creamy Mac and Cheese >

Creamy Mac and Cheese

Creamy Mac and Cheese

Old 03-03-2013, 06:23 AM

Default Creamy Mac and Cheese

I am looking for a macaroni and cheese recipe. I want it to be creamy-not dry. Everyone tells me "you can't go wrong with just milk and velveeta. Just don't know how much to use. Would appreciate all recipes and ideas. Have tried many, many and have yet to find "the one".
Old 03-03-2013, 06:42 AM

Cannot help, but glad you asked. I am interested in recipes other than Velveta and very creamy!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:44 AM

I use the recipe on the side of the box of cornstarch. I usually change up the liquids to give it more of a creamy texture. So here is my recipe - usually I add a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch (blend it before adding it to the pan) to 3 cups of milk - salt and pepper to taste and a dash of dried mustard and a couple of tablespoons of butter or margarine. I slowly heat the milk until it thickens (add more cornstarch if necessary or more milk if its too thick) then I add grated cheddar cheese (2 cups) and remove the pan from the heat. Then I mix it all up with my cooked macaroni - put it in a casserole dish sprinkle bread crumbs - put in the oven at 350 until its lightly brown and crispy on top. Basically, I just increase the amount of liquids it calls for to give me the creaminess. I hope this helps. I forgot - I also add a couple of slices of American cheese to my cheese/milk mixture.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Make a white sauce. Then and add in shredded cheese.
Add to cooked macaroni for the consistency you desire.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:08 PM

My mom used half velveeta and half cheddar - no milk. But putting in milk probably does make it creamier. Anyway, what I wanted to say is, you can probably use any combination of velveeta/cheddar or other cheeses to get the taste you desire.

Some recipes call for flour as a thickener - I've had some that tasted like flour instead of cheese, so use it sparingly if you use it.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Power Poster

I always start with a white sauce then grate the cheese and mix in.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 PM

Here is our family favorite:
Creamy Mac n Cheese
: 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, to taste, 3 cups milk, 2 (8 ounce) pkgs sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, 1 (8 ounce) pkg mozzarella cheese, shredded, 1 (16 ounce) pkg elbow macaroni, cooked el dente, ½ to 1 pkg roll Ritz crackers, finely crumbed. In a big skillet, melt the butter over med-hi heat. Whisk in flour until the mixture is smooth. Continue cooking and whisking for @ 2 minutes. Add the salt and pepper. Continue stirring. Whisk in the milk. Cook for approx. 6-8 minutes. The mixture will thicken. Slowly add the cheeses in. Continue stirring until the cheese is melted. Lower the heat and stir @ another minute. Remove the skillet from the burner. Mix together the cooked macaroni and the cheese mixture. Add the ½ pkg cracker crumbs to the top. Let sit for 3-5 minutes. Serve. For baked Mac n Cheese, once the pan has been removed from the burner, place and spread the macaroni and cheese mixture into a 9x13 pan that has been coated on all sides with butter. Add 1 package of Ritz cracker crumbs evenly over the top. Sprinkle lightly with any extra cheddar cheese you have on hand. Bake in a 350° oven for 20 minutes (may need to bake longer for a crispy top.

Last edited by NanaCsews2; 03-03-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:07 AM

Yum! I wish I had all of the ingredients to make this right now.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:20 AM

I used to make a white sauce and add cheese, but lately I just add the cheese. Seems less goopy that way.

I wish I could re-create my step-mom's recipe, I know she used a whole stick of Cracker Barrel Cheddar and baked it, and it came out nice and stringy.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:49 PM

One of Oprah's guest's, Patti LaBelle, made this dish on her show-6-7 years ago. It is spectacular and is the only recipe I use for mac and cheese, when having a large group, since then. As my niece says, it's the bomb:

http://www.oprah.com/food/Over-the-R...oni-and-Cheese