Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Date Pinwheel Cookies - do you have a recipe? >

Date Pinwheel Cookies - do you have a recipe?

Date Pinwheel Cookies - do you have a recipe?

Old 12-20-2009, 08:24 AM

It is a Christmas tradition that my DH has date pinwheel cookies. His mother always sends a package with cookies in it, but she is ailing and it looks like this Christmas will pass without the traditional package. I would like to bake some cookies for him, but have no recipe. I did find some on-line, but never having baked them before, I have no knowledge to help me decide which one is any good.

So, I ask you, my friends. I'm sure some of you bake these cookies and can send me a good recipe. Tips would also be appreciated. All the recipes I looked up deal with sticky dough, refrigeration, waxed paper, aluminum wrap and other such devices. Sounds complicated!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:16 AM

Thanks, Loretta. That is one of the recipes I copied out when I went on my search, but there are many recipes with very subtle differences, so I would like to know the one I actually make will be good. Have you made these?
Old 12-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

My mom just made me some and I just baked a few of them the other day. I will ask for her recipe and post it for you. These are delicious!!!!!!!! I so love them.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

Here's the recipe my mom makes. She makes them every year and has for as long as I can remember. They are absolutely the best!

DATE PINWHEEL COOKIES

FILLING:

2 c. dates chopped fine
1/2c. sugar
1/2c. water

Cook over low heat until thick. Stir constantly.
Add 1 c finely chopped nuts and stir them in.
Set aside to cool.

DOUGH:

SPRY MIXTURE

1 c. spry shortening
1 1/2 t grated orange rind(optional we don't use)
1 1/2 t salt
2 c. packed brown sugar
2 unbeaten eggs

Combine and beat well --set aside

FLOUR MIX

3 1/3 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 t soda

Mix well.

Add half of the flour mix to the spry mix. Blend well.
Add 2 T milk to the mix and blend in.
Add other half of the flour to the mix and mix it all together well.

Divide the dough in half.
Roll out the first half into a rectangle.
Spread a thin layer of the date filling on the rectangle
Roll the dough lengthwise into a log shape

Repeat with the other half/

Wrap each half with a double layer of wax paper or foil and refrigerate over night.

Spray cookie sheet with Pam
Cut the dough into 1/4" slices and place on cookie sheet

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 min.

The original recipe calles for 375 degrees and bake for 15 min but I just baked them for 10 min or so the other night when I baked some. So you can decide which you would rather do.
I put my oven on 350 and then just checked them til they looked done.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:09 PM

Thank you, Rhonda. I did wonder when you said your mom made you some that you had just baked. Ours always arrive baked and I thought, hmm, how does that work....

Is Spry a brand name or a certain kind of shortening? Is it closer to lard, shortening, margarine or butter? Soft or hard?
Old 12-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

LOL I told her someone would ask and she said just put in spry they will know! I reminded her some people live over seas and may not be able to get it. My mom is not computer literate! She isn't stupid but she is like I was just not realizing.

Spry is just a solid shortening. There are other brands like Crisco.

This year she made the dough for me and handed me the dough to use and freeze what I didn't use. That is why I was baking them but she made the dough. I never have because she always does it.

Hope this recipe works for you! It really doesn't sound that hard. It is pretty standard stuff other than cutting up the dates. I know I used to watch her cut them with a wet pair of scissors. They get sticky other wise. But now you can buy them already chopped. Mom said she got some at Aldi's if you have that store in your area.

Hope you enjoy!
Old 12-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

If you have a food processor, put the dates in, sprinkle a tbl or 2 of the flour from the recipe over the top, then pulse. The flour keeps them from sticking together :wink:
This will work when chopping them too. Add more flour and toss as needed :D Or spraying your knife blade with Pam will keep them from sticking to it too.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:00 PM

Okay, date pinwheel cookies have been made and passed inspection. I used your recipe, Rhonda.
One thing I did differently, though, was to put my cooked dates into the food processor and whirl them smooth. That allowed me to spread the filling evenly.
When I put the cookies out, my DH spent time inspecting, tasting, and trying to decide how they compared to what his mother makes. In the end, this recipe comes out as exact, maybe even better. YOW, what wife can cook as well as mom??? Thanks, Rhonda.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

You're welcome! I'm so glad they passed inspection!! LOL I am really glad they came out good for you b.zang! I still have some dough in the freezer. I will have to get them out and bake some more of them!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:03 PM

Hmm, more dough in the freezer, eh?
I just might have to put some of this into the freezer. Right now there are still two rolls of cookie dough in the fridge!
If I freeze a roll, he can have more in a month and space out the pleasure.
(sorry ladies, I don't care for them so DH gets them all)