Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Do you or did you bake with your children? >

Do you or did you bake with your children?

Do you or did you bake with your children?

Old 06-28-2016, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

I baked the "Toll House" cookies with my boys. My oldest decided he wanted bigger cookies and grabbed the ice cream scoop. They turned out great. Took some to my folks house and they couldn't get over how round they were. After that we had different size ice cream scoops (the springy ones). Once when my oldest was about 15 and I was working, he and his brother got a ride to the store and when Igot home they had made a batch of cookies on their own. That was one of the few times they enjoyed each other's company when they were younger. Now they do other more outdoor activities together.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:31 AM

Yup! That's how they all learned their fractions! All three started by standing on a chair. What total fun and good times.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:31 AM

Yes, I baked with my kids and now bake and cook with my grandkids. They get to take home 1/2 of everything they bake which they love! We do cookies, brownies, cakes, cupcakes, chili, spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, alfredo, Chinese fried rice -- what ever I have ingredients for -- they love it and so do I!
Old 06-28-2016, 05:36 AM

I baked with my kids all the time. Now my grandson who is 6 loves to cook. I try to have him over once a month or so to bake.Sometimes I also have his 3 year old brother come too. It depends on what we are making that day. We have also made a complete dinner and had his parents come to eat. It is a great bonding time and learning experience.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:45 AM

I did bake with my kids but much more with my grandkids, all boys. They are now all grown up and do I miss those baking days. BUT they (all 3 of them) often make grandmas day with a text asking for a recipe and how to make it. Now all working I love every minutes I get with them.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:45 AM

I always baked with my kids. Now that they are grown, they talk about how we always baked bread when it snowed. Now we are baking with the grandchildren. The together time builds great memories.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:53 AM

I always baked with my kids. We didn't have much, but we always had the makings of a pan of brownies or some chocolate chip cookies.
Here's one of my favourite pictures of my daughter when she was little. She's 23 now and still baking up a storm.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]553042[/ATTACH]
Watson
Attached Thumbnails oliviacake_zpsbsoje6aw.jpg  
Old 06-28-2016, 06:03 AM

Yes, it was the greatest. I kept sugar cookie dough frozen and anytime we wanted we could make cut out cookies with sprinkles. Friends of my son still remember making cookies on a "play date". I have a large collection of plastic cookie cutters so, we made Christmas, Easter and whatever cookies all at once.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Lots of fun times. My son enjoyed adding things to whatever was being made, and even helping to clean up. He spent a lot of time with my mom as well. He's 32 now, and enjoys going all out when cooking. Though he usually asks me to bake stuff.
I have a 4 year old grandson who wants to be a chef. Loves being in the kitchen. Happy times!
Old 06-28-2016, 09:20 AM

Yes. I learned from my mom how to cook, bake, and sew. I homeschooled my kids for 17 years, and when they were 12 or 13, each one (two sons and a daughter, close in age) were responsible to cook twice a week. I was on hand to help, but I made them master their 3 favorite meals and I didn't have to do all the cooking for six days a week. I'm smart like that Now they are in their 20s, sons are married and do probably 1/4-1/2 the cooking and enjoy it. Their wives appreciate it because they get home later than the boys. I say "boys" --they are young men, but always will be my boys! My daughter is extraordinary in the kitchen. She LOVES to plan meals, shop, cook, bake, everything. The best gift she gave us for Christmas was making 3 weeks' worth of freezer meals. She would be here till Jan 4th,then move back to FL. Then my hubby had open heart surgery on Jan 5th. Can I just tell you how good it felt to be relieved of thinking and prepping dinner while taking care of him during a difficult recovery? Mealoaf, lasagna, chicken 5 ways, taco fixings, etc.