Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Do you have a favorite "easy" food you make ? >

Do you have a favorite "easy" food you make ?

Do you have a favorite "easy" food you make ?

Old 10-16-2016, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I do what my husband calls "goulash" but it really isn't. I saute onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil, add ground beef, cook until browned. Add tomato sauce and BBQ sauce of your choice (about half and half) and cook for a few minutes. Voila! Dinner. lol
We do this dish, which we also call "goulash" but add a can or two -- depending on how much ground beef we're using -- of pork 'n beans. It's also a great camping favorite and can be cooked on a camp fire grate in an iron skillet or iron dutch oven. With garlic bread and a salad, it's a pretty good meal.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:16 AM

Quick Salsa Chicken
Slice a couple of sweet red peppers and a red onion into thin strips. Saute until tender in a large fry pan.
Boil about 2 cups of penne pasta. (Or more if you want left overs.)
Add about 2 cups (I'm guess-stimating) bite-sized chunks of cooked chicken to the peppers/onions. (I do this dish after we've had a bbq chicken from the grocery store the night before and use the leftover meat from it, or you can cook off a chicken breast or two and chop it up.)
Sprinkle with a bit of taco seasoning and add a splash of water. Heat the chicken through.
Add the cooked penne pasta and enough salsa to make it moist. Heat through.
Sprinkle shredded cheddar over top and put a lid on for a few minutes to melt the cheddar. Voila.

Watson
Old 10-16-2016, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cactus Stitchin View Post
My latest easy pork chop recipe uses the crock pot. I season the pork with salt, pepper, garlic and thyme. Brown in a pan 2 min per side in a couple tablespoons of oil. In the same pan I saute onion just a bit then add to bottom of crock pot with pork chops on top. Then I mix 1/4 cup flour with 1 cup of chicken broth and season with paprika, parsley, garlic, black pepper and basil. Cook on high 3.5 to 4 hours. Pork chops are tender and moist and the flour mixture turns into a great gravy that I serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
This is one I will give a try. I know the Campbell cream soups taste great, but the msg does not sit well with me, and so far, I have not found one without msg, autolized whatzit or yeast extract. I buy organic, gluten free chicken stock by the 6-pack at Costco, so already have most of the ingredients for Cactus Stitchin's recipe, just have to replenish my paprika.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:40 AM

Two of my easy meals are 1, pour about a cup or so of rice in a 9x13 baking dish add chicken broth , garlic , onions and carrots, celery if I have it, Place chicken breasts on top pour ranch dressing over it and bake at 350 for about an hour or until rice is done, The kids loved this one. Also what I call goulash just brown about a lb of hamburger, add 1 med size onion, green pepper if I have it 1 can of mushrooms a cup and a half of macaroni a can of spaghetti sauce I can of water cover and cook for about 20 minutes sprinkle shredded cheese on to[p add a salad and some garlic bread. Easy peasy!

Last edited by Up North; 10-16-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:06 PM

My favorite easy is dessert fruit salad.
1 small can drained fruit cocktail
1 small can of peaches
small marshmallows
coconut if family likes it
cool whip
Combine ingredients; you can double or triple depending on how many you are serving. Combine;stir; eat!!
I like this because most everyone likes it and it only takes few minutes to put together.
You can use most any fruit. I don't use bananas because they turn dark so easily.
Mariah
Mariah
Old 10-16-2016, 02:02 PM
mac

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
Breaded Meat....it might be a sicilian thing. Beef tenderloin is the best. Flatten down (push down with your hand) slices of meat, dip in olive oil, then in seasoned bread crumbs (bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, dried oregano, garlic salt and pepper). Broil, turn over and broil the other side. It's a family favorite and really easy.
Oh my gosh, you just took me back to my childhood. That is the same recipe that my family made for years. I'm Italian, too. I always like this with mashed potatoes, oil and vinegar salad with tomatoes and lots of ketchup for the meat.

Here is another similar recipe from my family, peel potatoes and slice them in 1/8" - 1/4" slices, put into a heavy casserole dish that been sprayed with Pam or olive oil. Then they would bread the meat like you did, lay it on top of the potatoes, spread a can of tomato sauce on top of the meat, cover with a lid or aluminum foil (put down a piece of parchment paper on top of the casserole so that the tomato sauce doesn't come in contact with the aluminum foil) and bake in a 350 degree oven until the meat is done and potatoes are cooked, usually about an hour or so will do this.

Gosh, now that all of relatives have passed on, I am going to have to make some old-fashioned meals like this for a walk down memory lane.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:12 PM
mac

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
Breaded Meat....it might be a sicilian thing. Beef tenderloin is the best. Flatten down (push down with your hand) slices of meat, dip in olive oil, then in seasoned bread crumbs (bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, dried oregano, garlic salt and pepper). Broil, turn over and broil the other side. It's a family favorite and really easy.
Doggramma, my family is also Italian and used the same recipe for breaded meat. One of my favorite meals.

Another recipe using breaded meat, was to peel and slice potatoes in 1/8 or 1/4" slices. Put these into a casserole dish (salt and pepper to taste) put the breaded meat on top and pour a can of tomato sauce on top of meat. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour or until the potatoes and meat are done. Add a salad and another vegetable like spinach or Swiss chard and there you are.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:21 PM

Sometimes we want a little something sweet, so my go-to easy sweet is a dump cake.

Dump one can of cherry pie filling in a 12X12x2 pan
Dump one can of crushed pineapple juice and all
Cover the fruit filling by sprinkling a dry cake mix on top -I use yellow
Even out the cake mix and top with pats of butter or margarine -Use at least 1/2 stick but a whole stick is better
Place in the oven at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes

It is very sweet. I am pretty sure it is not exactly health food but it is soooo good.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I put a beef roast and a pork roast into a roaster with tight cover, big enough to hold how much meat I have. (I have made up to 10 pounds of meat this way.) Pour mushroom soup over it. From one half can to two cans according to how much meat you have. Then sprinkle generously with Onion soup mix. Cover tightly with foil, put roaster cover on and cook at 250º for 12 hours.

Yes, put it into the oven before you go to bed or very early in the morning. You have the best ready-made gravy you ever tasted.
I just read the post by mac. She (He) says to cover the casserole with parchment to keep the tomato away from the foil. This would be a good idea with my recipe also, as the onion soup sometimes eats through the foil.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:03 PM

PORK CHOPS AND KRAUT:
Spray baking dish, cover with sauerkraut, top with pork chops, cover and bake for an hour. Uncover, sprinkle chops with salt and pepper and bake an additional 15 minutes. (I'm not fond of sauerkraut, but it's good in this recipe and it's also very good for you.)