Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Do you remember this Spice Cake?

Blog Entries
    Have you ever tried peanutbutter frosting on a spice cake? Wonderful!!!!!!

Oooohhhh...I remember those spice cake bars...yummy! AND I grew up drinking Isaly's milk and I loved the treat of getting a skyscraper ice cream cone! When I was 9 I would walk to a store to spend my allowance on one. I grew up in the suburbs of Youngstown, OH.
    Remember the teakettle...it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it still sings!

A Proper Tea is much nicer than a Very Nearly Tea, which is one you forget about afterwards. ~ Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)

Any of you have a recipe for a corn casserole .It was made with kernel corn eggs bread milk butter and no cream style corn.I googled but nothing came close.
    I'm an obsessive compulsive quilter and batik aholic. I make only king size quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcurious View Post
    Yes, McKeesport, PA, 30 miles from Pittsburgh, our Isaly's was in White Oak across the Blvd from McKeesport.
    I lived in CA for 10 years, San Diego, then El Cajon, CA. I've been to Ocean City.
    I remember the Isaly's in Oakland..I think the Blvd of the Allies or Craft Ave. not too far from the PGH Playhouse. I was young and my grandfather took me there for the sherbert skyscraper. Such memories...and sad day when they closed. I moved from PA in 1979...but still have memories of the local favorites that can't be found anywhere else...tried to explain 'Jumbo' to my husband...He didn't get it.
    And the spice cake...I forgot all about that!

Yes, we had two Isaly's, one in White Oak and one downtown McKeesport. I'm sure your husband thought 'Jumbo' was elephant meat! How about a gumband? I agree those childhood memories sure make you wistful, don't know why Isaly's went out of business, they had the best ice cream, sherbert and chipped ham.

OK here is my review...I tried the A&P Spanish Bar Recipe someone listed...and it was good, but not exactly as I remember it. It seemed too cakey...I remember it being more moist. But it looked like it and was certainly good. Here is a picture of mine.

Also....I would suggest cutting the recipe in half since this made a 2 tier 9x13 cake....enough to feed a big group!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I remember sitting in the A&P grocery cart holding this cake to make sure it didn't get squished - GREAT memory!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

I posted the recipe to a previous discussion
    The distinct flavor and color comes from the addition of two level T of cocoa
    iAds a buttercream frosting with marshmallow fluff
    Social workers never retire. you help someone as long as you live

Yes, I remember the Spice Cake.

I think Hostess used to sell the individual servings for lunches etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3