Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Do You Reuse Your Canning Lids?

If they are in perfect shape I will re-use them. Never had a problem with them. I've had more new ones not seal than used ones.

I have on occasion reused lids for jelly. There were usually a few that did not "pop" so those were used first or given to friends for immediate use only.
    If you are planning on long term storage (more than a month or so) I would make very sure the seal was secure.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Blog Entries
    Just because they "look good " is not what matters. How the pressure treated the rubber in the canning process is the important factor....i would always ....Always use new lids please.
    The best use of your time is in something that will outlast YOU !

Never. Last year I purchased the re-usable plastic lids and rubber rings for canning. I am very happy with them. And I like the thought of not having to throw away the used lids. The initial cost is much more than the metal lids but the plastic ones will last a long time.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    I have been canning now for 40 years and I always use new lids but I reuse the rims. I figure the lids can be bought without the rims for a couple of dollars. So a couple of dollars is worth it. Just to have the peace of mind that my canned food will be safe to eat.

Blog Entries
    No, I would never reuse the lids for canning & "hope" they will seal. However, I do reuse the "good" ones for general storage of leftovers such as soup, etc.

Smile There are now reusable lids!

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Never. Last year I purchased the re-usable plastic lids and rubber rings for canning. I am very happy with them. And I like the thought of not having to throw away the used lids. The initial cost is much more than the metal lids but the plastic ones will last a long time.
    The Tattler lids advertised on Glenn Beck's show are reusable and guaranteed for a lifetime. They are not plastic, have no PBA and have been tested up to 50 times I believe with success. Just google Tattler reusable lids and you should find them. Worth the extra price if they last forever!

I reuse the rings and buy new lids.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Blog Entries
    I only use used lids on jellies. On everything else - news ones.

I use new lids-always! I do re-use rings and jars though. New lids are a small price to pay for peace of mind. And too much effort and $$ goes into it all to risk it!!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast