Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Doe's anyone have a name for this recipe? Got this from my Mom.. >

Doe's anyone have a name for this recipe? Got this from my Mom..

Doe's anyone have a name for this recipe? Got this from my Mom..

Old 07-27-2013, 09:31 AM

I make a recipe called Bean Stach-up's. It is a little quicker. You can toast your bread but don't have to. You can add extra bacon (broken pieces). For a quick dish I warm my bread slices in micro wave (keep in ref.) I use bean and bacon soup mixed with 1/4 cup water,you can add a little more if you want it a little creamer. Add your cooked bacon to the soup mixture spread over bread. I top each with slice of tomato,thin slice of onion and a slice of cheese. Place plate in microwave and heat till cheese melts about 1 min. You can mix mayonnaise with mustard and place a dollop on top if you choose. Just mix mayonnaise and mustard to taste but DO NOT add the mayonnaise till you are ready to serve as it curdles when heated. Will be spending a day out soon and this will be out dinner as it is quick and DH loves it. So do I. It is just the 2 of us and one can of soup is enough. I use 1 1/2 slices bread on each plate. Enjoy.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:23 AM

My Dad loved bean sandwiches! Left over homemade Boston baked beans on buttered bread! Pretty simple.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:11 PM

We called them Beanwiches: 1 slice of toast with leftover baked beans spread on it and a slice of cheese on top. The reheated beans would melt the cheese.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:38 AM

Nothing better than just a plain old baked bean sandwich with lettuce and a little Miracle whip on it.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by gramquilter2 View Post
Have never heard of this but my husband would love it.
Mine too! He might skip the bacon as he is a lazy kind of guy and wouldn't want to fry it up himself. Of course, he would certainly add the bacon if I had fried up a bunch. No likely as I really don't care for bacon, if I was going to eat that much fat I'd rather have cheese cake. This is the only time of the year that I buy bacon, nice big fat Jersey tomatoes are around and I make some delicious bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches. Sometimes I skip the lettuce but never the mayo.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:53 PM

my mother made us "depression sandwiches" but it was beans on bread that were broiled and when things were good we had a slice of cheese on top. Never had the bacon but we grew up in a fairly poor family. Just didn't know it
Old 08-01-2013, 02:22 AM

You guys amaze me with all the interesting facts that come with recipes. I love it! my mom grew up during the WAR in Germany. She never once fed us Mayonnaise. She said butter was a short commodity during the war so people used Mayo. She never wanted to be reminded of that again so I literally never tried it til in High School when I could buy a sandwich. Now imagine all these years later I love both. funny what memories are made by lifes struggles. Me? when I was so poor I had to decide how to make money stretch so the kids ate well? I ate steamed rice with a pinch of parmesean as it was cheaper than butter. that powdered cheese. I fed them instead. That was my staple for three days a week... never told them that. boy was my tail end a lot smaller too!
'
Old 08-01-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by bea2 View Post
I got this recipe from my Mom. I don't know if she made it up herself. I've never seen or heard of anyone
else making it..I call it "bean and bacon open face sandwiches"..
for each sandwich:
fry 2 or 3 slices of bacon..while the bacon is frying
toast 1 slice of bread...whatever kind you like
open a can of pork and beans into a bowl. Mix in some prepared mustard, a little brown sugar. { or you could use a can of the seasoned beans}
put toasted bread on a baking sheet, spoon on some beans to cover it, put a slice of cheese on top of that and warm it up in a 350 degree oven for about 10 min. till cheese is melted and beans are warm.
put on plate, put bacon on top and enjoy !!
Don't have a name for this but while looking in fridge I noticed we had 2 hot dogs and some baked beans leftover. If I substituted the hot dogs for bacon it would be something DH would love. Could even skip the cheese and he'd love it.