Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Dumplings >

Dumplings

Dumplings

Old 12-18-2015, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Boy, I never made dumplings before but I can taste my Grandmother's right now. She made them with Bisquick too.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:07 AM

Well, my recipe has EGGS, and LOTS of them. Eggs and flour only. For my family, I beat up a dozen eggs and slowly add ONLY ENOUGH flour to make a loose, sticky dough (so that the dough will fall off the spoon with no struggle but not fall apart when dropping them into the broth). Using a WOODEN spoon, dip the spoon into your broth FIRST, then fill the spoon with dough and drop into the boiling broth. Dip spoon into broth EACH time so that the dough falls off the spoon easily. I don't add salt to them because usually we reserve the water from boiling a ham for our broth, throw in the ham bone to 'cook' off the excess ham and then I add a couple quartered potatoes cuz I don't like the dumplings like they do, and a small diced onion. When the potatoes are cooked, remove the ham bone and add more diced ham if you like, dump a jar or can of green beans (juice & all) into the broth, then drop in the dumplings. After they cook a bit, you can stir or turn the dumplings over and allow them to steam (covered) for a bit to cook them through and TA DA, you have a good ham 'n dumpling soup. You can season to your liking. My hubby's grandmother started doing this in the 1930's and family has passed this on in the family since. Let me know what you think (our 13 yo granddaughter has recently learned to make them because she LOVES the dumplings).
Old 12-18-2015, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by piepatch View Post
madamekelly, I am curious. What is northern cornbread, and how is it different from other cornbread?
I grew up and lived most of my life in the Pacific NW, so I am more familiar with that style of cooking. When I lived in Texas and Tennessee, I learned there are regional styles of certain dishes. What the folks down south call "cornbread", we called "hoe cakes" or "corn cakes" and southerners sometimes use white corn which is sweeter. They look more like a pancake since they are made from a thinner batter on a griddle of some sort. In the north, cornbread is little squares of yellow sunshine yumminess, with butter or honey on it, or beans poured over it. Over it, is the best way to serve chili!
Old 12-22-2015, 11:06 AM

Interesting discussion, because I have made noodles, not dumplings. Lots of eggs, or just the yokes with flour to make the noodles....rolled out and cut into strips and dried before cooking them in boiling broth.

Cornbread was always made in an iron skillet baked in the oven. Southern cornbread had more sugar in it than the 'Yankee' style according to the way I was raised. I like sugar in it... (I am 73 now!)

I am going to try the dumpling recipes listed here, thanks so much for posting the recipes.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
Interesting discussion, because I have made noodles, not dumplings. Lots of eggs, or just the yokes with flour to make the noodles....rolled out and cut into strips and dried before cooking them in boiling broth.

Cornbread was always made in an iron skillet baked in the oven. Southern cornbread had more sugar in it than the 'Yankee' style according to the way I was raised. I like sugar in it... (I am 73 now!)

I am going to try the dumpling recipes listed here, thanks so much for posting the recipes.

Your message age reminded me of my grandmother Charlottes cornbread. She would fry up sausage links, cool them, then cut them into bite size pieces, then put the cornbread battery over the top in a cast iron skillet in the oven.
(Myself, I hate sugar in my cornbread, but then I hate whipped cream or any kind of cream in my food too! I am truly weird according to DH.)
Old 12-23-2015, 10:24 PM

This is how my grandmother made dumplings...we called them "sinkers" and they are the only ones I really like. I have made the bisquick and the other fluffy ones, but always go back to my granny's old recipe.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:59 PM

In UK we make dumplings for stews, self raising flour, seasoning, mixed herbs and water/milk to make a stiff dough then add to stew for about last 20 minutes keeping the lid on
Old 12-24-2015, 06:39 AM

Notmorecraft I am in the UK and use Suet S/R flour & water for my dumplings

Originally Posted by notmorecraft View Post
In UK we make dumplings for stews, self raising flour, seasoning, mixed herbs and water/milk to make a stiff dough then add to stew for about last 20 minutes keeping the lid on
Old 12-24-2015, 07:55 AM

My family is from South Carolina and the Great Smoky Mountains around North Carolina and Tennessee. We always rolled our dumplings, hoe cakes were biscuit dough fried in lard in a cast iron skillet, and cornbread was made with white cornmeal with absolutely no sugar.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:47 AM

Btw re read my post I also use butter and rub in with flour to make breadcrumbs bit like pastry then add seasoning n milk to bind sorry I'm a klutz sometimes lol