Here are two of my favorites:
CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
1/3 cup butter
1 pound mushrooms, chopped or sliced
3/4 cup flour
2 quarts meat stock (I use canned chicken stock)
1 T. salt
1 tsp. lemon juice
Melt butter. Add mushrooms and cook until brown. Add meat stock, saving enough to mix with the flour. Make a paste with meat stock and flour. Mix all ingredients and heat until it boils. Put in jars and process in pressure canner for 40 minutes at 10 lb. pressure. When opening to use, add equal amount of milk and soup. Very good! Makes 5 pints. Can be tripled.
When I find mushrooms marked down at the store because the are past the sale by date I buy them for pennies. They are perfect for this recipe. Once you had this soup, you won't buy the canned.
Apple Pie in a Jar
4 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. lemon juice (for the water for the apples)
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp nutmeg
10 cups water
peeled and sliced apples to fill 7 quart jars
(for cherries, omit spices and add 1 tsp. almond extract AFTER removing syrup from the heat.)
- Put apple slices in bowl with juice and water until ready.
- Mix all other ingredients in large pot.
- Simmer over medium heat until bubbling
- Fill hot, clean jars w sliced apples: pack tightly.
- Pour hot syrup over apples. Leave 1/2" head space.
- Wipe rims, cover.
- Process in hot water bath 25 minutes or pressure can 10 minutes @ 10 pounds pressure for quart jars.