Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Eggnog Request >

Eggnog Request

Eggnog Request

Old 11-19-2008, 07:48 PM

I thought this might be a thread with recipes for using eggnog. Anybody have some of those? Something beyond the eggnog french toast, maybe?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:51 PM

b.zang, I posted an eggnog cookie recipe in the Christmas cookie thread, and someone else posted the eggnog french toast there too.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:44 AM

Eggs must be cooked to 160 degrees Fahrenheit to kill bacteria such as salmonella.

Adding alcohol inhibits bacterial growth, but it cannot be relied upon to kill bacteria.

The freshness of the eggs has no bearing on salmonella. You can catch the egg right out of the hen's bum and salmonella may still be present. Although an older egg may have more salmonella present as it will have had time to multiply.

Salmonella is especially risky for some people. This includes senior citizens, pregnant women and very young children. People with weakened immune systems who suffer from chronic illnesses such as cancer, diabetes, liver disease and AIDS are also at risk. So be particularly careful when serving eggnog to those individuals.

A good Eggnog recipe that uses cooked eggs, therefore eliminating any risk:

1 quart milk
6 fresh eggs
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
Ground nutmeg
Heat the milk in a large saucepan,
but do not scald. While heating, beat
together the eggs and salt in a large
bowl, gradually adding the sugar.
Gradually add hot milk to the egg
mixture.
Pour the mixture back into the
saucepan and cook on a medium-low
heat while stirring until it is thick
enough to coat a spoon. The thermometer
should read 160°F. If not, continue
heating until that temperature is
reached.
Stir in vanilla, and cool quickly by
setting the pan in a bowl of ice or cold
water and stirring for 10 minutes.
Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Before serving, pour it into a bowl and
fold in whipped cream. Sprinkle with
nutmeg.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:23 PM
2ME

another salmonella fighting option is to use pastuerized eggs that you can find in the carton in the grocery store. I've heard rumors about pastuerized shell eggs, but have never seen them myself. sounds gross to have eggs in the carton, but that is how many restaurants use them now and they taste OK. definitely good enough for egg nog.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:10 PM

Here's my recipe- it's worth the work!
SOUTHERN CUSTARD EGGNOG
Soft Custard(below)
1 cup chilled whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup rum
1 or 2 drops yellow food color, if desired (I don't)
Ground nutmeg
Prepare Soft Custard. Just before serving, beat whipping cream, powdered sugar & vanilla in chilled small mixer bowl until stiff. Stir rum & food color into chilled custard. Stir 1 cup of the whipped cream gently into custard.
Pour eggnog into small punch bowl. Drop remaining whipped cream in 4 or 5 mounds onto eggnog. Sprinkle nutmeg on whipped cream mounds. Serve immediately. 10 servings (about 1/2 cup each)
SOFT CUSTARD
3 Eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup sugar
dash of salt
2 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix eggs, sugar & salt in heavy 2-quart saucepan. Stir in milk gradually. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just coats a metal spoon, 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove custard from heat; stir in vanilla. Place saucepan in cold water until custard is cool. (If custard curdles, beat vigorously with hand beater until smooth.) Cover & refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
** I have kept it for up to 1 week after adding the rum & whipped cream mixture.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:09 PM

About 55 years ago I was in 4-H and egg nog was my very first demonstration at the county fair. I can't remember how I did with my demonstration but at that time I loved the egg nog. Haven't made it since that fair so many years ago and no longer remember the recipe but your request for a recipe brought back some wonderful, warm memories for me. Thank you.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:39 PM

Whisky Eggnog
Home Made Best Made

Ingredients
4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup whisky
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream Introduction:
This traditional holiday drink is saved from raw-egg problems by cooking the custard. Brandy or rum can be substituted for whisky.

Makes 6 cups.
Total time: 3 hours 45 minutes.

Step 1:
In a saucepan, beat the eggs and sugar until creamy. In a second saucepan over low heat, heat 2 cups of the milk until hot. Slowly add to the egg mixture, stirring continuously. Cook over low heat, stirring, for 15 to 20 minutes or until the mixture reaches 170°F and has thickened. Stir in the remaining milk, vanilla, whisky, and half the nutmeg. Chill 3 hours.

Step 2:
In a medium bowl, beat the cream until soft peaks form. Fold into the milk mixture. Ladle the eggnog into a punch bowl and sprinkle with the remaining grated nutmeg.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:50 AM

I love eggnog, and am thrilled to see non-alcoholic recipes in here! The cooked ones sound intriguing, and may try for safety reason, though I do not much care for cooking!