Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Eggplant Parmesan >

Eggplant Parmesan

Eggplant Parmesan

Old 05-17-2016, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I don't understand the soaking in water...this veggie is so full of water, reason for the salting...of course, you wipe them dry before breading. If the eggplant is ripe, it does not have a bitter taste....I also peel the skin in strips before salting......like I do cucumbers...sometimes the skin is tough and bitter.........
I have found that the black beauty eggplants all have a varying degree of bitterness and soaking them takes it all out ,

Some people do not taste the bitterness so it is an unnecessary step for them so if you don't find Black beauty eggplants bitter in their natural state you don't need to soak them
Old 05-17-2016, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
I agree...many of the less known varieties of eggplant aren't bitter at all....for some reason we're conditioned to the big black, bitter type! If you shop the farmer's markets, in season, they're much fresher and much less bitter. I grow my own, and love the Listada types, as well as the newer fairytale. Never let them sit around, use them as soon as you get them, they get more bitter with age.

I have used the recipe on all varieties of eggplants and it works well on all I tried so you can use the eggplant variety of your choice

I only soak the black beauty eggplants , I prefer them in this recipe as they are the more traditional eggplant used in Italian households
Old 05-18-2016, 05:09 AM

The bigger they are the more likely the bitterness will be there. I buy smaller black beauties, and I also like the oriental (?) ones..small lite purplish...those I make stuffed boats....... I stuff oversized zucchini too......
Old 05-18-2016, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
The bigger they are the more likely the bitterness will be there. I buy smaller black beauties, and I also like the oriental (?) ones..small lite purplish...those I make stuffed boats....... I stuff oversized zucchini too......
On black beauties I always go for the mediums as the are a nice compromise,

I also love the Asian eggplants too , they are delicious and a bit sweet

Last edited by scorpius; 05-18-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:26 PM

I am going to make this tomorrow. Thank you for reminding me I have an eggplant in the frig.
Cathy