Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Eggplant >

Eggplant

Eggplant

Old 09-01-2014, 06:15 AM

Default Eggplant

We have an abundance of eggplant in our garden. Looking for a recipe that is not like the usual lasagna type (with the spaghetti sauce) Anyone have a favorite?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:23 AM

I love eggplant! I slice it in 1/2" slices and put on the grill with other vegetables like zucchini. 1/2" red onion rounds and portabellas. It's also great for "eggplant caviar" - a google search will get you several recipes. If you over-grill it, get some diagonally cut french bread, grill that, and spread the eggplant on it. I also use it to make a ratatouille - sautee eggplant cubes, zucchini slices, onion and fresh tomatoes with some garlic. Serve over rice. Oh - and I never salt the eggplant before using it.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:40 AM

what kind of eggplant? i also grill it. i like the new varities like ichibon, little fingers etc. i slice in half down middle, herbs & olive oil. cook skin side down then turn over & brown the top. for the larger varieties i cut thick slices ..season ..hot coals, cook quick so it doesn't get mushy. i never have to fry it anymore to get hubs to eat it! but i have had to teach him he only gets half the vegies i grill for he & i, not the whole platter!
Old 09-01-2014, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

My family's favourite egg plant recipe is fried. I peel the egg plant and cut in 1/4 inch thick round slices. I dip each slice in a beaten egg and coat in fine bread crumbs. I put a little vegetable oil (about 1/8 to 1/4 inch) in my electric frying pan and cook until golden and crispy. I remove them from the pan onto a plate with paper towel. Onto another plate with a little dab of butter and salt and pepper and yum!
Old 09-01-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
My family's favourite egg plant recipe is fried. I peel the egg plant and cut in 1/4 inch thick round slices. I dip each slice in a beaten egg and coat in fine bread crumbs. I put a little vegetable oil (about 1/8 to 1/4 inch) in my electric frying pan and cook until golden and crispy. I remove them from the pan onto a plate with paper towel. Onto another plate with a little dab of butter and salt and pepper and yum!
Our fave way for eggplant, also. Oh my, it is so buttery delicious...with just a bit of crunch. We even dress it sometimes with sour cream...maybe even some horseradish. But I salt and let some of the water drain onto paper towels before cooking. I dust with flour, dip in egg wash, and I prefer crushed saltines for the final coating. We just love that veggie!
Old 09-01-2014, 10:49 AM

Moussaka is a Greek dish made with eggplant. My family's favorite for many years. http://greekfood.about.com/od/eggplant/r/moussaka.htm
Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
Our fave way for eggplant, also. Oh my, it is so buttery delicious...with just a bit of crunch. We even dress it sometimes with sour cream...maybe even some horseradish. But I salt and let some of the water drain onto paper towels before cooking. I dust with flour, dip in egg wash, and I prefer crushed saltines for the final coating. We just love that veggie!
these two fried versions were my hubbys favorite before i got him to try BBQ grilled eggplant. he also loves eggplant parmesan. i use recipe from chef paul prudhomes first book. it's great to make ahead and stock the freezer for better than storebought freezer entres in winter. taste of summers fresh tomatoes & eggplant ....yumm
Old 09-02-2014, 06:53 AM

Sliced zucchini, peeled/cubed eggplant, sliced mushrooms and onions, each sauteed/browned in olive oil separately. Add Italian seasonings and garlic to taste. Use a paper towel to take up some of the extra olive oil before putting into a casserole dish. Mix in some cubes of somewhat dry bread while tossing all the veggies to mix. By frying the veggies separately, the flavors stay distinct. Sometimes, I make this as a main dish it's so good.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:44 AM

I make caponata - it's an Italian side dish. But actually we eat it as an appetizer with garlicky crackers or toasted baguette rounds. This is how I do it: cube and salt the eggplant and let it sit about 30 min first, then rinse and proceed

Brown the eggplant in a little olive oil with onion and celery. Add tomato paste and tomato sauce - don't make it too soupy. Sometimes I'll put in chopped tomatoes too. I don't usually add salt. Add raisins and chopped green olives (the ones with the pimentos). You can add capers too, but lots of times I don't have any so I leave them out. Simmer about 20-30 minutes. Refrigerate a few hours before serving.

you also need to add sugar and white vinegar: 1/3 cup vinegar, 2 T sugar for 1 eggplant

Last edited by Doggramma; 09-02-2014 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Forgot sugar/vinegar
Old 09-02-2014, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by laynak View Post
Sliced zucchini, peeled/cubed eggplant, sliced mushrooms and onions, each sauteed/browned in olive oil separately. Add Italian seasonings and garlic to taste. Use a paper towel to take up some of the extra olive oil before putting into a casserole dish. Mix in some cubes of somewhat dry bread while tossing all the veggies to mix. By frying the veggies separately, the flavors stay distinct. Sometimes, I make this as a main dish it's so good.
eggplant is my favorite vegie. i grow several varieties every year. this recipe sounds wonderful! & i plan to save it. i also love love the quilt you have as your avatar. beautiful!​