This is the easiest and most certain way to make French Onion Soup that I've found!
No more rushing it, and burning the onions for me.
Now you've got me wanting to brew some up ...
... and guess what? only one onion on hand!!
Hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
French Onion Soup -- Crockpot
Toss together in crockpot --
4 large onions, sliced
2 tbsp. oil
salt and pepper
1 tsp. sugar
Cook til onions are soft and caramelized.
Time will vary, depending on your crock (approx. 8 to 10 hours on low or on high for 5 to 6 hours,)
Add and cook til warmed --
10 oz. can beef consomme
1 can water
dried thyme (optional)
When warmed through, ladle into 4 oven-safe soup bowls.
Top with piece of bread and shredded swiss and parmesan cheeses.
* I fill my crockpot with onions and adjust the quantities for the remaining ingredients accordingly.
* Because I like LOTS of onions and less broth, I tend not to use as much broth as called for.
..And of course, depends on the size of those onions!
* The caramelizing stage does not take as long in my crock.
* This recipe is very freezer friendly! Thaw and reheat on stove top, in microwave or back in the crockpot.
* For convenience, I also freeze bread with the parmesan/swiss on top, to simplify preparation later.