Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Frozen sauce >

Frozen sauce

Frozen sauce

Old 01-11-2015, 03:21 PM

Default Frozen sauce

I would like to make a large batch of meat spaghetti sauce and freeze for individual dinners. Any thoughts, ideas for me?
Old 01-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

After it cools, put it in plastic sealable containers and it should freeze well. I wouldn't let it stay frozen too long as it will lose flavor. Think of how long they keep frozen meat lasagna in the supermarket.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:39 PM

If you freeze the sauce in bags, it will be alot easier if you don't thaw it in the bag. Empty frozen sauce in a bowl th thaw.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:45 PM

I freeze mine in freezer bags. Then I gently squeeze out the air and lay them flat on a cookie sheet and into the freezer. When they're frozen I stack them up on edge. My sister does the same except she has a thin box she "files" them in.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
After it cools, put it in plastic sealable containers and it should freeze well. I wouldn't let it stay frozen too long as it will lose flavor. Think of how long they keep frozen meat lasagna in the supermarket.
I place my leftover sauce in plastic bowls lined with Saran wrap. As far as any flavor lose, my sauce had to be toned down a bit after it thawed. Maybe it's the way I prepare it though. I use an electric pressure cooker to cook my sauce.
I had it stored in the freezer for about 3 months before we had it a couple of weeks ago for dinner.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:01 AM

I do the same as Tesspug, freezer bags laid flat for easy stacking. If I am making it I make lots to save the work for the next few times. I do like the Saran wrap idea never thought of that but do not have the freezer space.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:41 AM

I do the same way as tesspug too and it works well. Incidentally "tesspug"......I love your little comment at the bottom of your post....... about...... "I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something." I am thinking of emroidering the comment on a wallhanging for my sewing room. Hope you won't mind.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by sandilee View Post
If you freeze the sauce in bags, it will be alot easier if you don't thaw it in the bag. Empty frozen sauce in a bowl th thaw.
I freeze things in bags that I put in the freezer into a square container. After it freezes, I remove them from the container and stack the blocks. When I want to use it, I put it in a bigger container of room temperature water until the edges are soft enough to squeeze it out into a pan and heat it. Works great and no mess.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:03 AM

Chasing Hawk:
I use an electric pressure cooker to cook my sauce.
I had it stored in the freezer for about 3 months before we had it a couple of weeks ago for dinner.

I have an electric pressure cooker and would you please share your recipe for your sauce. I do low carb and want some for the spaghetti squash I cook in the cooker.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:54 PM

a little off the spaghetti sauce idea but........ when I pick our seasonal berries I always freeze on a cookie sheet.. When frozen, just put them in an appropriate size freezer bag. (label and date) If you grow or get a good deal on green peppers or your garden is packed with onions - I chop as I would for soups, stew, sauces, freeze on cookie sheet, when frozen - break up if necessary and pop into freezer bags. NO MORE CLUMPS of frozen balls to bust apart. Just grab what you need and put rest back in freezer.... I use ice cube trays for leftover wine, pesto and tons of other things - after frozen put in freezer bags.... easy peasy ...... you guys are making me hungry !