Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Garlic which do you use... >

Garlic which do you use...

Garlic which do you use...

Old 09-16-2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
Just one of those questions that float around my mind.

When a recipe calls for garlic, do you each for fresh garlic, prepared garlic in a jar, powdered, granulated or garlic salt?

Why am I asking? I was looking up recipes for Greek Potatoes and was surprised how many recipes called for dried or powered garlic.

When I was growing up garlic salt was the only form of it in my house, next to the poultry seasoning, chili powder an cinnamon that made up the whole spice cupboard.

Now, there is no dried garlic to be found in my house, but there are two types of local fresh garlic as well as cheap Chinese garlic and a litre jar of prepared garlic in the fridge.

Yes use a lot of garlic.
I keep garlic powder on hand and the little jar of minced garlic in the frig. Sometimes I buy the whole garlic and use a garlic mincer on it.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:23 PM

I have fresh garlic, powder garlic, garlic salt and roasted garlic with parsley. Depends on what I am making is which one I will use.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:13 AM

Fresh, powdered and granulated. No jar of preminced in the fridge or garlic salt. And one lonely jar of pickled garlic in the pantry--note to self time to make more!! It is the best sliced on salads or stuffed into pitted olives!
Old 09-24-2015, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

We always have garlic bulbs on hand in a little wire basket stored with the spices. Huby buys and uses the jarred kind, but I don't care for it myself unless I am making bruschetta.
Here is a bask thing they do and is very yummy. They soak the whole heads (paper skin and all) in water for a while and put them onto the BBQ when they cook steaks. Just keep turning it until it is charred on all sides and the garlic is cooked. Oh dear, how wonderful this is. I never thought I would eat a whole garlic by myself, but when you taste it yourself, so will you! Kind of the difference between cooked onions and raw. Oh so yummy! Reno has many basko people in the area. A throwback from the settling of the reno area so many years ago when they had bands of sheep grazing the hillsides. (No I am not bask)

By the way, if you are going to plant garlic, now is the time to do it.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 09-24-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

I use fresh, in a jar, and granulated. I use lots, as I am Italian.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:08 AM

I used to buy it in a jar but the taste is not the same. As it is only me, I just buy one or two bulbs at a time and keep in the fridge. There is nothing like the smell of fresh garlic hitting the hot olive oil in the pan!! Now if they could put THAT smell in an air freshener I might buy it.

BTW, if you find yourself with a lot of fresh, separate it into cloves and peel. Throw them in the freezer. To make super easy garlic bread, toast the split loaf in the oven til crispy, rub with thawed frozen garlic cloves, they disappear right into the bread! Then add your butter or oil if you like.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:18 PM

My favorite is fresh garlic which I use if I have it. If not, I use the jar kind, but the taste (like ptquilts said) is just not the same. I will use garlic powder if I don't have either of those . Garlic salt, though--that has salt, so it's not a substitute unless you eliminate the salt in the recipe. I love garlic!
Old 09-27-2015, 04:51 PM

Well, we used to grow garlic. But lately, DH has developed an aversion to garlic. Does not like the taste, and claims it causes digestive issues. So, no garlic in this house. I miss it.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:15 PM

I use fresh garlic because I grow my own in my garden. I just planted it and will harvest next June/July. After digging it up I let the outer papers dry in my pantry and store it there--it lasts for over 6 months. Much juicer and more flavorful than what I can get in the store after my stash runs out!