Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Garlic which do you use... >

Garlic which do you use...

Garlic which do you use...

Old 09-14-2015, 06:47 PM

Red face Garlic which do you use...

Just one of those questions that float around my mind.

When a recipe calls for garlic, do you each for fresh garlic, prepared garlic in a jar, powdered, granulated or garlic salt?

Why am I asking? I was looking up recipes for Greek Potatoes and was surprised how many recipes called for dried or powered garlic.

When I was growing up garlic salt was the only form of it in my house, next to the poultry seasoning, chili powder an cinnamon that made up the whole spice cupboard.

Now, there is no dried garlic to be found in my house, but there are two types of local fresh garlic as well as cheap Chinese garlic and a litre jar of prepared garlic in the fridge.

Yes use a lot of garlic.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

​I keep a head of fresh garlic in a little garlic house in my spice cupboard. I have garlic salt for doing barbecue meat rubs.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:58 AM

I have the huge garlic in a jar and the powdered garlic. I just can't seem to keep the fresh garlic on hand.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:22 AM

I'm another that has enormous jar of minced garlic in the jar in the fridge. I use LOTS of garlic. I do also have powdered garlic and garlic salt in the cabinet but rarely use either. Both containers are probably about 25 yrs old. Like toverly, I just can't seem to keep fresh garlic on hand.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:49 AM

We generally use fresh garlic. Occasionally powdered garlic for some recipes. I love the little cubes of frozen garlic I ca find in the frozen veggie section of the grocery, but my DH prefers to mince his own!
Old 09-15-2015, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

We have all of it and we use it. Sometimes DH gets carried away. Our neighbor uses fresh garlic when the underground critters(moles) decide to visit. He cuts into a bulb laterally just enough to open up and get the juices flowing. They literally can not stand it. We've used it like this also.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:23 AM
dd

I typically use the jar of minced. Got tired of trying to mince fresh. I always have powdered and salt on hand too but mostly use the minced in a jar. I used to think that was kinda cheating but now I love it.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:29 AM

I use garlic in a jar. Seems to last forever...
Old 09-15-2015, 08:02 AM

I keep heads of garlic handy, my husband is Sicilian and loves garlic. I keep powdered garlic in the cabinet for seasoning meats and some fish. I also put the powdered version in flour along with other spices for a light dredge for fish fillets.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I am blessed to have a fresh garlic stand a few miles from my house. Unfortunately she is retiring so I have to find a new source. I prefer fresh when I can get it locally. I stock up now and it usually lasts me until Feb or March stored in paper bags in the cellar. I do also have the jarred stuff and garlic powder for making meat rubs. Which I reach for depends on the application and what kind of shape my fresh garlic is in. This time of year I use nothing but fresh unless it is for a rub.