Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Giardiniera

Pickled Vegetables (Giardiniera)
    This recipe serves: 16

Ingredients

Makes 2 quarts
    2 cups distilled white vinegar
    2 tablespoons sea salt
    2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch by 1/4-inch by 2-inch julienne strips (about 1 1/2 cups)
    16 small pearl onions, peeled (about 1 cup)
    2 cups cauliflower florets, cut into 1-inch pieces (about half a small head)
    2 medium celery stalks, trimmed, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
    1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced into 1/3-inch pieces (1 generous cup)
    1/2 cup pitted meaty green olives
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Cooking Instructions
    1. Pour 2 quarts of water into a 5-quart pot, add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil

2. Add the carrots and onions; cook 2 minutes.

3. Add the cauliflower and celery; cook 2 minutes.

4. Stir in the red pepper and continue cooking until the vegetables are softened, but still quite firm, about 1 minute.

5. Drain the vegetables well and transfer them to a bowl large enough to hold them comfortably.

6. Cool to room temperature.

7. When all the vegetables are cool, season them with salt, toss in the olives and drizzle the olive oil over everything.

8. Toss well and let marinate at least one hour at room temperature or 1 to 2 days in the refrigerator before serving.(The marinated vegetables will keep well in the refrigerator up to 7 days.)

Serving Size: 1/2 cup vegetables

I made some of this right before Christmas, and canned it. Gave it and some other stuff, mostly relishes, for gifts. It was HOT! (at least the stuff I made was!) Made my husband break out in a sweat. And he likes hot food!

M

I ate so much of it, till I got sick of it. LOL

Yum! My dad used to make his own with leftover pickle juice and extra vinegar. I'm going to make him a batch of this. It sounds divine! Thanks for the recipe!

Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    Yum! My dad used to make his own with leftover pickle juice and extra vinegar.
    I did that one time with the leftover pickle juice from pickled beets. Only I put in hard boiled eggs. A friend came over and he and my husband ate the eggs and drank beer. His wife didn't talk to me for a month. I guess it was my fault he had bad gas...

M

I've also added a few cherry tomatoes to mine when I've made this (similar recipe) before.

Quote Originally Posted by MissTreated
    I did that one time with the leftover pickle juice from pickled beets. Only I put in hard boiled eggs. A friend came over and he and my husband ate the eggs and drank beer. His wife didn't talk to me for a month. I guess it was my fault he had bad gas...

M
    feed him egg salad next time....

Thanks for posting this - after chat last night I had a huge craving for some pickled veggies - NOW I can make some!

Quote Originally Posted by MissTreated

M
    Mistreated...you are a hoot! :lol: