Pickled Vegetables (Giardiniera)
This recipe serves: 16
Makes 2 quarts
2 cups distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons sea salt
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch by 1/4-inch by 2-inch julienne strips (about 1 1/2 cups)
16 small pearl onions, peeled (about 1 cup)
2 cups cauliflower florets, cut into 1-inch pieces (about half a small head)
2 medium celery stalks, trimmed, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced into 1/3-inch pieces (1 generous cup)
1/2 cup pitted meaty green olives
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Pour 2 quarts of water into a 5-quart pot, add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil
2. Add the carrots and onions; cook 2 minutes.
3. Add the cauliflower and celery; cook 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the red pepper and continue cooking until the vegetables are softened, but still quite firm, about 1 minute.
5. Drain the vegetables well and transfer them to a bowl large enough to hold them comfortably.
6. Cool to room temperature.
7. When all the vegetables are cool, season them with salt, toss in the olives and drizzle the olive oil over everything.
8. Toss well and let marinate at least one hour at room temperature or 1 to 2 days in the refrigerator before serving.(The marinated vegetables will keep well in the refrigerator up to 7 days.)
Serving Size: 1/2 cup vegetables