Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
HELP!  lost recipe for my potato soup >

HELP! lost recipe for my potato soup

HELP! lost recipe for my potato soup

Old 11-15-2014, 06:06 PM

Default HELP! lost recipe for my potato soup

I had a great recipe for potato soup. It was thick and creamy. Ingredients I remember were potatoes chopped. onions, celery salt, crumbled bacon, instant mashed potato to thicken, milk and the last ingredient was sour cream. I messed up last time and added cream cheese instead of sour cream and it turned out the best I ever made. Having coffee group over for a "soup" party in a few weeks and making chicken noodle, potato and either chili or ham and beans. Has anyone have a recipe using sour cream?
Old 11-15-2014, 06:20 PM

I found this one http://www.instructables.com/id/The-...up-Experience/
Old 11-15-2014, 06:25 PM

I never use a recipe for potato soup. Just wing it and it'll probably be wonderful!
Old 11-15-2014, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
Thanks Tesspug. This is not the one but looks good. Has the right ingredients in it. I was sure it was in my old Betty Crocker 1962 book but it is gone. Book has been used to death. Seldom use recipes anymore but that was special. Darn!
Old 11-16-2014, 04:29 AM

I still have, and use my old 56 Betty Crocker cookbook that I bought at the IGA store in Ontonagon, MI and that was a few years ago and then some.

It looks like it has been used a time or two too often.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:53 AM

Baked Potato Soup

4 large baking potatoes
2/3 cup butter or marg.
2/3 cup flour
6 cups milk
3/4 teas. salt
1/2 teas. pepper
4 green onions, chopped & divided
12 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled, divided
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 (8 oz.) sour cream

Wash potatoes and prick several times with fork; bake in a preheated 400 oven 1 hour or until done. Let cool. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise & scoop out pulp.

Melt butter in heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and bubbly.

Add potato pulp, salt, pepper, 2 tbs. green onions, 1/2 cup bacon and 1 cup cheese. Cook until thoroughly heated; stir in sour cream. Add extra milk, if necessary, for desired thickness. Serve with remaining onion, bacon and cheese as garnish, or pass separately.
Yield: 10 cups
(I cut it in half for 3 hungry people!)Enjoy!
Old 11-16-2014, 07:32 AM

Boil up a couple of peeled, chopped baking potatoes with a stick of chopped celery. When all tender and the water is almost gone, slowly stir in about a cup of whole milk, a cup of grated cheddar cheese, stir to melt. Add a cup of sour cream. Heat slowly once you add the sour cream. You can add more milk if you wish. Salt and pepper to taste.

This recipe is from a dear soul I was blessed to know some years ago.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:19 AM

Just diced potatoes, celery, onions, and water...boil until soft. I would mash some of the potatoes for thickening, then add whole milk and some heavy cream (if there is a lot of potato water) salt and pepper and serve. DIL would serve with sides of bacon bits, shredded cheese and crackers.
My little GD was staying with me one day when I made potato soup and I told her DH would eat it with about a million buttered crackers, she cracked up! He loved this soup... No SOUR CREAM.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:36 AM

I have a recipe that I go by that has the usual potatoes, celery, carrots, onions. I add just enough water to cook the veggies in and then add either powder milk or coffee creamer to the water after the veggies are cooked. Then I add browned hamburger, 1 can of creamed corn and a handful of shredded cheese (whatever it opened in the fridge at the time). This recipe came from the Uni. of Neb. back in the 70's and its called Midwest Chowder. Don't think it included the hamburger but we've added that to our potato soup since I can remember. As I love herbs in all my soups I add parsley, basil and then salt and pepper to taste. Comes out fairly thick too if not too much water was added at the beginning. I usually just wing it and add this and add that till it tastes the way I like it.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:47 AM

My potato soup is simple. I cook as many potatoes as I believe will serve the group. I drain the cooked potatoes and reserve the water. I mash the potatoes with some butter, adding the reserved water to thin. I add cooked carrots, celery (sometimes) and onions. I then add the sour cream and if it is too thin, add the water until it is the consistency I want. For the kids, I add chopped hot dogs (turkey) but you can add whatever you want and heat. Add pepper. When serving I add butter and shredded cheese. My 10 year old granddaughter love it and it is my go to meal.