Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Help on menu. >

Help on menu.

Help on menu.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:26 AM

Default Help on menu.

I need help on a lunch I have to make at a quilting retreat I am soon going on. I am going to make Tex-Mex Casserole which I got off this board but I don't know what else to make to go with it. I have to feed 10 women. Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this and/or recipes. Thanks so much.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

I would do sides to go with the casserole. A large green salad or vegetables and dip, rolls, fruit platter and desserts. That way if you you have diabetics or vegetarians you have options.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:48 AM

I'm with Tartan, a big green salad, chips and salsa, fresh fruit tray, and of course chocolate something for dessert. Yum! Enjoy your retreat.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Agree with the others! That way everything seems Spring fresh!
Old 03-17-2015, 04:55 AM

Yes, we vegetarians tend to get lost in the shuffle LOL ... the extras suggested sound wonderful ... and MAYBE a cold pasta salad? Depending on the appetites of some people ... a green salad and fresh fruit might not be very filling!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

My daughter does a large salad that we bring to the family picnic. I don't have an exact recipe because she changes it up depending on what is available. 1 yellow, 1 orange, 1 red pepper ( sliced into 1/4 inch slices), I red onion sliced thin, the florets of one head of broccoli in bite size pieces, 2 cans of chick peas drained, toss together and add Kraft Italian oil and vinegar dressing until coated. It is better after a few hours when the dressing has a chance to mingle with the vegetables.
If she can't get broccoli she substitutes cauliflower florets, sometimes adds thinly sliced carrots coins for more crunch, change it up to suit your tastes. We like this salad because it can sit out without worrying about refrigeration for a while.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:16 PM

Since you are making a Tex-Mex Casserole, this Four Bean Salad recipe should go well with it.

Four Bean Salad

1 can Yellow Wax Beans
1 can Cut Green Beans
1 can Garbanzo Beans
1 can Red Kidney Beans
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup corn oil (Make sure it is corn oil)
2/3 cup white vinegar
Dash garlic salt
Salt and pepper to taste

Drain and rinse all beans in cold water

Combine all ingredients and chill for several hours to blend flavors (I usually make this the day ahead of serving it.) Turn several times to cover all the beans

Note: you can adjust the amount of sugar to your taste; I usually use only 1/4 cup sugar.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:07 PM

You could do a nacho salad if there are vegetarians and use Morningstar crumbled "beef" (not real meat, but very tasty, and this is coming from a carnivore). I forget what it's called but it's protein and easily substitutes for meat. That way both groups are eating Mexican. Maybe a tray of fruit with fancy toothpicks and a bowl of mixed nuts.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:27 AM

Maybe you can find out if anyone is a vegetarian ahead of time. If there is you could make a small casserole without meat and add extra beans for protein. Then I would make a green salad, taco chips and salsa and brownies. Keep it simple, that's the purpose of the casserole. I'm a vegetarian and I do not expect there to be food I can eat at any event I go it. I usually take a protein bar or my own food because I don't want to inconvenience anyone.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:14 AM

I'm the same RJWILDER ... I never expect someone to have food for me, always bring something just in case ... Not everyone does tho LOL Unfortunately ...

Also - not to sound ridiculous ... some vegetarians don't eat the stuff that "tastes" like meat but isn't meat ... (Yes, SIGH, I would be one of "those too" !)

You are much better off finding out if anyone is (if you can) then trying to please everyone.

When I do lunches / dinners I serve NO meat LOL ... If I'm inviting you to my place to eat, it means you know me, and you know I don't eat meat ... don't like what I'm serving ... don't come (and for heaven's sake, do NOT bring your own LOL I will not cook it, or let you stink up my house with the smell of cooking carcasses!) (it's very easy to be a die-hard vegetarian when you are single and live alone and have no kids hahahaha