Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Homemade yoghurt >

Homemade yoghurt

Homemade yoghurt

Old 07-09-2015, 06:35 AM

My oven has an oven light, which keeps the oven toasty warm. I have been drying herbs in there, slow but sure. It would work for yogurt also, so thanks for inspiring me.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:21 AM

O
Originally Posted by MarthaT View Post
A crock pot on low is too hot. You still have to turn it off and wrap the pot. Basically it needs to be kept just a bit warmer than body temp for a long time. I can set my electric oven as low as 110 degrees. I'm thinking of trying to use it as an incubator for yogurt. I've been reading and hearing that full-cream plain Greek yogurt is the most healthful to eat. But it is hard to find. Guess I should make some again. Thanks for posting and getting me brave enough to try it again. I made it all the time when we lived in Papua New Guinea because we couldn't buy it there. But have not been very successful since we are back in the States. I blame our milk. In PNG I used powdered milk and the powdered milk we got there and the kind we buy here are very different. (Plus we can only get skim milk powder, no full-cream.) Guess I'll try using regular (liquid) whole milk.
You might want to try organic whole milk. It might work better for you.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:25 AM

I have a hard time finding whole milk yogurt. I do not think low fat or no fat is healthy. But, the manufacturers don't care. Liberte' is a Canadian brand that I like very much, but this conversation has inspired me to try again to make my own.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:25 PM

I make low fat yoghurt for my dog but prefer full cream milk for mine as it is nicer and thicker. Low fat milk tends to make a runnier yoghurt. I used to put a bit of powdered milk in my yoghurt to help it thicken more but then I read that powdered milk has a lot of cholesterol in it so I stopped doing it. I find that if I hold the milk at 180F for 10 minutes before cooling it I get a thicker yoghurt than if I get it up to temperature and then cool it straight away.
I have heard that you can use food dehydrators to incubate your yoghurt.