Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
How to use roaster oven? >

How to use roaster oven?

How to use roaster oven?

Old 11-01-2014, 05:13 PM

Default How to use roaster oven?

We will be hosting our family Christmas in mid December. It will be held at a hall that we have rented for the day. There are good kitchen facilities with roaster ovens, coffeemakers, and most everything we need except crockpots. I have two of my own that I could use if needed. I have not toured the kitchen but plan to do so in the next couple of weeks. I would appreciate any tips, ideas, or recipes that I might find helpful. We will be furnishing potatoes, meat, hot rolls, beverages and dessert. Salads and vegetables will be furnished by the guests. There will be around 35 in attendance. I am used to preparing the meal at home but have never used roaster ovens so I need a little help with suggestions for the potatoes and meat. All suggestions welcome. Thanks!!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:31 PM

My mother used a roaster oven back in the 60's - so I am afraid I'm no help. All I remember was she would put the roast in it in the morning and it came out done. She never did the vegetables in it unless she was doing a pot roast.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:26 PM

http://www.nesco.com/recipes/ You can search this company's site for roaster oven recipes. I have an 18qt roaster. It isn't much different than cooking in an oven. Cooking time is a bit shorter and it's moister. Though I don't care for ham done in a roaster oven. I did do a pot roast once in my parents' 6qt. I prepared the same way as I do on the stovetop.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:34 PM

When I'm using mine to roast chicken or pork, I usually add a 1/2" of water to the roaster oven. It seems to keep the meat moister.

I have done an entire meal in a roaster oven - potato's, veggies and meat. I microwave veggies like carrots and white potato's for 5 - 10 minutes because they are harder and denser than most veggies and take longer to cook.

As long as it's not windy outside, you can put the roaster oven outside to cook your meal on a hot summer day. That's not quite as wonderful as barbecue, but it works.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:40 AM

Its a slow cooker isnt it?? When I got married i was afraid that someone would give us one of those huge electric roasters....it would be a major "hint" to have a big group over for a meal! Lol! I am a crock pot gal myself. Smaller meals, smaller groups! Lol!

wish I had the room in our house to host a large gathering.

Have fun!
sandy
Old 11-02-2014, 05:30 AM

I've used them a lot at church. You can always cook your food as usual than just keep it warm in the roaster. Also if I buy a large amount of chicken like from the store,I just take the cooker insert and they put the chicken in,I throw it in the cooker,easy peasey.. Dont panic they are fine.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:35 AM

Yes, in my mind close to a crockpot. I have a large one for yearly holiday family dinners...had to buy when we moved to this house..old one I had two kitchens, one in basement for canning and overflow baking...not here though.....it does cook "moister"' I only use for poultry, large roasts, did ham once...I am pleased with what it does.....but I do miss my summer kitchen!
Old 11-02-2014, 07:07 AM

I have lots of experience with cooking and with roasters. It would be helpful to know what you plan to use the roaster for. I use cooking bags in mine because it maintains the moisture and easier to clean. Moisture is key when using them because they do tend to be hotter on sides so liquid evaporates. This being said, I love my roasters for cooking for crowds and at church;we would be lost without them!

Potatoes- I use a party potato recipe with cream cheese, sour cream, butter, half and half which makes them creamier and they hold up to warming in crockpot or roaster. Make sure they are not too stiff or they will dry out.

A turkey in a cooking bag cooks very fast in a roaster and remains moist.

For the rolls I would keep them in tinfoil with a little opening so they do not get soggy. Keep the roaster on a low setting.

Let me know if you have any questions. Dianne

Last edited by mlt150; 11-02-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:21 AM

I was wondering about cooking my turkey in the cooking bag in the roaster does it brown? I ve used them never a roaster bag.Also do you cook on the same temp as an oven?
Old 11-02-2014, 12:25 PM

I cook my ham in a roster oven every holiday...family loves them...moist and good...
I put a small amount of water in bottom..keep the juices from burning...