Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
I didn't know this about onions >

I didn't know this about onions

I didn't know this about onions

Old 09-01-2016, 07:06 AM

Great to know as I'll be cutting up bunches of onions to put into the freezer for soups this winter. Right now they're braided and hanging in the back garage till I have time..........usually around January or whenever it gets too cold to have them out in the garage.........its insulated but not heated.

I also heard if you cut off the root end 1st you won't cry either. I rarely have problems with tears while I'm cutting all the onions, usually a 4 hrs session.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:53 AM

I store mine in the frig but they still make me cry. Maybe because I mostly use white onions and they tend to be more potent?
Old 09-01-2016, 10:29 AM

I store potatoes and onions at room temperature, because in the refrigerator, the starches are converted to sugar. When this happens to onions, they tend to become soggy, causing them to spoil faster. I have not cried for years when chopping onions. I slice my onion in half, and at the bottom where the roots once grew, is a hardened spot. I cut a small V here in each half and remove it before chopping the onion. This arrest the gas that causes tears. I learned this tip from a chef.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
I knew about the freezer tip but what really surprises me is that several of you store your onions in the fridge....have never heard of that! What is the advantage?
I think we already said it ...... No Tears!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
I store potatoes and onions at room temperature, because in the refrigerator, the starches are converted to sugar. When this happens to onions, they tend to become soggy, causing them to spoil faster. ...........
Interesting .... I have lost fewer potatoes and onions since I started storing them in the frig, than before. And sometimes they stay in the frig for a very long time!

Of note, perhaps the difference in where we store them when not in the frig and the temperatures they endure may make a difference re spoilage. I know many can keep them in the garage, but here, it is too hot in the summer, and too cold in the winter, both resulting in big losses. Otherwise, there is no where appropriate in my home for them to sit in wait of mutilation!

Last edited by QuiltE; 09-01-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:45 AM

I store mine in the fridge, they seem to last longer. I was always told the root end was smellier, so I start cutting from the top if I only need part of the onion.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I can't tell the difference in taste from chop my own or buy frozen chopped if the onions are going to be cooked. I buy the frozen chopped for all cooking onions.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:59 AM

I have a large garden and lots of onions. I store them in closed brown paper bags in the bottom shelf of our extra refrigerator in the basement and they keep until the next gardening year.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:51 PM

Food like that needs to be in a fridge in FL. I can just see bugs, roaches and everything else, dining on potatoes and onions if they were our for all the minions to taste. It's over 100 degrees in our garage sometimes, nope, don't think they would last long there.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:00 PM

I find that the "sweet onions" that I find at the store do not make me cry. Especially the Maui, Wala Wala, and the ones from the south...that I can't remember the name of right now. They are only available during a certain time of the year.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:30 PM

If you have an onion that is too strong, just soak it overnight in milk. Works.