Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
I'm drowning in Basil >

I'm drowning in Basil

I'm drowning in Basil

Old 07-19-2011, 03:19 PM

I use a dehydrator for mine. I have 3 plants now and about 4-5 more growing. I usually do a huge batch to dry and give little jars of it out for presents. I do the same with parsley as well.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by lostsoulhelpmejebus
I layer multiple leaves and then roll into a "cigar" (about the thickness of my index finger and about the same length). I then place all my "cigars" on a flat cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and allow the "cigars" to freeze. Once frozen I throw them in a double freezer bag and then remove them as needed for use. I think it allows the oils to stay more stable for a longer period of time. :-)
Awesome idea! Jackie's freezer cubes re great too - but - More, I want MORE!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:23 AM

I wish I was drowning in it!! I have some but don't usually get enough to preserve it. Well, maybe a little this year. I have to grow it in pots as when I plant it in the garden the snails eat it all!!!

I love to make a Bruchetta, Fresh tomatoes, chopped, garlic, olive oil and basil. I love to eat it with bagel chips or tortilla chips and toss it on pasta, as well as the traditional on toasted bread.

Love using rosemary. I have it in pots as well. I need to find a place in the ground cause I use it faster than it grows, even though I have 4 plants. I love, love, love using Rosemary with chicken and Lamb. When making soups from Chicken carcases I toss in Fresh Rosmary, Fresh Thyme and Marjoram. Adds a great flavor!!!!