Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
ISO Sugar free cake >

ISO Sugar free cake

ISO Sugar free cake

Old 06-10-2011, 04:39 AM

My husband is diabetic, and I've been "battling the bulge" since birth. DO NOT USE SPLENDA - it's like pouring carcinogenic chemicals into your body. I have some organic recipes that use brown rice syrup, agave, or honey, but these will also raise sugar levels. I stick with stevia, a natural plant that sweetens, and it's manufactured under the name of Truvia. You can buy it in both forms of packets or to measure out by the cupful.
Here's a cheesecake recipe that I've been making for years:

3 packages of cream cheese softened (8 oz. pkg)
1 pint of sour cream
4 eggs
3/4 cup stevia (1 cup sugar if using for "regular folks")
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients together and bake in an 8" x 10" glass pan placed in 1/4-inc water in a roasting pan. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour; turn oven off and leave in the oven for another hour. If you find the top turns brown and gets a tough "skin" on top, lessen the time left in the oven.
I usually make only half the recipe, since we can't eat the whole thing in a timely fashion. Just cut back the cooking time/waiting in oven time.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:27 AM

Take an Angel Food cake mix , add a can of crushed pineapple and mix together . Put it in a cake pan and bake as directed on the box.do not grease pan. Top with whipped cream
This is my favorite diabetic cake. Pickle
Old 06-10-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by apronlady
My husband is diabetic, and I've been "battling the bulge" since birth. DO NOT USE SPLENDA - it's like pouring carcinogenic chemicals into your body. I have some organic recipes that use brown rice syrup, agave, or honey, but these will also raise sugar levels. I stick with stevia, a natural plant that sweetens, and it's manufactured under the name of Truvia. You can buy it in both forms of packets or to measure out by the cupful.
Here's a cheesecake recipe that I've been making for years:

3 packages of cream cheese softened (8 oz. pkg)
1 pint of sour cream
4 eggs
3/4 cup stevia (1 cup sugar if using for "regular folks")
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients together and bake in an 8" x 10" glass pan placed in 1/4-inc water in a roasting pan. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour; turn oven off and leave in the oven for another hour. If you find the top turns brown and gets a tough "skin" on top, lessen the time left in the oven.
I usually make only half the recipe, since we can't eat the whole thing in a timely fashion. Just cut back the cooking time/waiting in oven time.
I use stevia and love it. Thanks so much for the recipe. I will try it soon.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by cairns
Pillsbury has a chocolate and yellow sugar free cake mix.
The sugar free frosting is good too. They also make
sugar free brownies. I used the yellow cake mix and added
banana's for Banana cake, used it along with splenda brown
sugar and pineapple for pineapple upside down cake.
There are also recipes using diet flavor soda.
Lynda
I'm going to have to check my stores. The last time I looked (which was quite a while ago), there were no sugar free mixes at all

I have tried ready-baked sugar-free goods, but they are sweetened with either sorbitol or mannitol, both of which give me terrible diarrhea (digestive upset).

Diabetic candy does the same thing.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pickle
Take an Angel Food cake mix , add a can of crushed pineapple and mix together . Put it in a cake pan and bake as directed on the box.do not grease pan. Top with whipped cream
This is my favorite diabetic cake. Pickle
If you are talking about regular angel food cake mix, it is most definitely not a diabetic cake. Angel food has more sugar than flour in it and the flour is loaded with carbs, as does the juice in the pineapple.

Diabetics have to watch carbohydrate intake, not just sugar. Sugar is just one of the carbs.

Angel food cake is cholesterol free because it has no egg yolks in it, but it is not sugar free.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:22 AM

There are sugar free cake mixes now at your grocery store.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 AM

here is a recipe from diabetic desserts,
zucchini spice bundt cake
1 pkg. spice cake mix
1 cup water
3/4 c. cholesterol free egg substitute
1 medium zucchini shredded
3 tbls. chopped walnuts
3/4 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c.powered sugar
1 to 2 tsp. fat free skim milk
3 tbls. chopped walnuts.
preheat oven to 325 degrees, spray 12 cup bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray,
combine cake mix, water,egg sub. and oil in large bowl. mix according to pkg directions. stir in zucchini,, walnuts ,vanilla. pour into pan bake 45 min.or until toothpick comes out clean. cool 10 min.in pan , turn out onto rack. blend powdered sugar and milk , pour over cake. hope this works for you. if not let me know i have more i can send you.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:37 AM

I stick with stevia, a natural plant that sweetens, and it's manufactured under the name of Truvia. You can buy it in both forms of packets or to measure out by the cupful.
==============================
Truvia is no longer a natural product. It only has a trace of Stevia in it, chemically removed, just to be able to claim it's "natural" and to work on the sales trick trick to be able to make it sound like Stevia.

Always read labels.

Both my daughters are adult and diabetic. When they visit we stick more to the Dr. Adkins type of diets, with lots and lots of greens. As a family we eat a lot of salads and always have. Just a plain piece of fruit, with tiny bits of other fruits with them make nice desserts.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:17 AM

Walmart has a sf yellow or white cake mix by philsberry,icing too is sf. really good.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:00 PM

MY Error I was thinking cholesterle. Sorry about that.