Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: ISO Swiss Chard Recipes

I'm looking for some good recipes using swiss chard. Can you eat it raw in a salad?

I don't know about raw but we wilt it in a skillet. A bit of olive oil, a bit of butter, melt, some minced garlic, medium high heat, add washed chard ( try and get most of water off, not usually possible though) and cover. In a few minutes turn over and over. It cooks way down, but we like it that way. We do the same thing with spinach.

Baby leaves, yes. Once the leaves get full-sized they're a little too bitter to eat raw.

I basically use it as a spinach substitute. It's good sauteed in a little butter with salt and pepper, or used in soups, or chopped up in omelettes or fritattas. You'll just want to cut out the big central rib; it's pretty fibrous and not pleasant to eat.

I love Swiss chard, and it's very good for you! I hope you find you like it too. :)

I chop the leaves and stems and saute it in some olive oil that I've added some sesame seeds to and toasted. Then add a little soy sauce, mirin and tabasco.

My guys aren't crazy about chard but it has lots of good things in it and my son will even eat cold leftovers of this recipe.

Go to foodtv.com.

I just steam it, and serve with butter, salt & pepper..mmmmm....delicious!

I use mine in enchiladas. I saute the chard with onions in a few tablespoons of butter. I place a few tbs. of the chard onion mix on a flour tortilla top it with a few tabs. of shredded swiss cheese and roll it up. I place about ten of these in a well oiled 13 x 9 inch pan. On the stove I melt 3 tbs. of butter and stir into it 3 tbs. of flour. I add a cup of heated milk gradually and stir after each addition. I then add a small can of chillis and 1 cup sour cream. I heat until it is thicken somewhat. I pour this over the enchiladas, cover the dish with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Serve with salsa.

One of our faves: Wash leaves, remove center rib from large leaves (leave it on small ones) then cut into about 4-6 pieces, per leaf. (Not too small) In large skillet heat 2 Tbl. olive oil, add 1/2 to 1 cup chopped onion and 3-5 cloves garlic, chopped finely.
    Saute til translucent then begin adding chard. Saute til it just starts to wilt then add more chard, turning every couple of minutes, til all chard is just wilted. Now, drain off any liquid, leave chard in skillet, lay slices (or shredded) cheese (we like white american best) over the chard and put a lid on it til the cheese melts.Remove lid and drizzle with lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. Just before serving sprinkle with toasted pine nuts. Adjust amounts to your taste.
    Our family likes this so much I put about 40 plants in the garden this year.

Hope you enjoy.

Blog Entries
    Run it through a juicer and add some lemon juice, a little apple or orange and carrot, and you have pure nutrition.