Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Jalapeno jelly

Jalapeno jelly

Red or green jalapeno jelly:

2 chopped red or green bell peppers

˝ cup chopped jalapeno peppers (more if you like it hotter)

5 cups white sugar (may cut down to 4 cups if you like it more tart)

1 ˝ cups apple cider vinegar (if you cut down on the vinegar by ˝ cup, add ˝ cup water so you won’t reduce the volume)

1 (6 fluid ounce, which is one pouch) container certo liquid pectin (only use liquid pectin as it won’t set as well with the powder type)

directions:

1. Remove stems, veins and most of the seeds from the bell and jalapeno peppers. Mince peppers in food processor or blender. If using blender pour ˝ cup of the vinegar in to help it blend.

2. In a large pot over high heat, combine bell peppers, jalapenos, sugar and rest of vinegar. Bring to a rolling boil; boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.

3. Stirring constantly, add the pectin and let mixture continue to cool for 2 minutes. Then stir for 1 minute. Add red or green food coloring to make it pretty if desired.

4. Pour into hot, sterilized jars and top with sterilized flats. Secure the flats with bands and allow jars to cool slowly, creating a vacumn seal. This should make about 6 half pints of jelly.

Note: To sterilize jars, wash, rinse well and stand upside down in a 250 oven for 30 minutes. To sterilize flats, put into a small saucepan over med heat and simmer till needed.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

How is this used? Like a spread on crackers? Sounds yummy for a family who love Jalapenas.

Put out a block of cream cheese with the jelly over the top and serve with crackers. ummmummm good.

I make this & use it to baste chicken, fish or pork - especially spareribs. Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by childofgod View Post
    Put out a block of cream cheese with the jelly over the top and serve with crackers. ummmummm good.
    Thank you for reminding me of this. I've been to gatherings in the past where something like this was served so it might have been this recipe. Sounds so good I'll have to make it for family.

I use the jelly in BBQ sauce to baste on all meats!! Yummy!!
    Chrystina
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning.., Satan shudders & says ..."Oh no....she's awake"

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChrystinapCreations

Banned
    You can not imagine about my craze for jam and jelly.I must say a bundle of thanks on this recipe sharing and i hope that you will not make me disappointed again in future.

I will have to try this. I bet this would be a hit with some of my coworkers,.
    Family is a priority, not a convenience!
    Take time to be friendly... It's the road to happiness.
    Take time to give... It is too short a day to be selfish.