Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Looking for good marinade for venison! >

Looking for good marinade for venison!

Looking for good marinade for venison!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:24 PM

Tired of doing the same old thing with our venison steaks - which is slap them on a really hot cast iron pan and sere! Our venison is good but wanted to use a tried and true marinade. Anyone got a good recipe? Thanks :lol:
Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

I have a good one but it is kind of sweet. It really offsets the venison nicely. I really don't measure.

I mix some soy sauce about one glug of the bottle maybe a tablespoon or two??, wine ( can be red or white, doesn't matter) about two glugs of the bottle maybe about 1/2 cup, olive oil maybe around 2 or 3 tablespoons, again I just pour til it looks right, and a couple spoonfuls of honey and two cloves of crushed garlic (more if you like it garlicy). Taste it, should be a nice balance of sweet, acid and salty. If it is too sweet you can tone it down with squirt or two of lemon juice or more wine. Dump this in a ziploc baggie with the steaks and let em sit for anywhere from an hour to several. Slap on grill and yum. If you like spicy you can always add some crushed red pepper flakes to the mix.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:49 PM

this is for venison roast, but I can't see where you could adapt it for steaks:

Deer Roast Recipe

Ingredients
1 venison roast
1 cup white wine
1 cup dry onion flakes
1 cup dry parsley
Mrs. Dash’s Seasonings, salt, pepper.

Butterfly roast and open up. Mix dry onion flakes, a liberal amount of Mrs. Dash’s seasoning, salt and pepper and sprinkle on the meat. Roll it up and tie it closed. Place into tin foil and sit in fridge over night.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Salt and pepper the roast before browning in a cast iron pot. Add cup of white wine to the meat juices. Roast in oven until done.

**I have put a cup of beef broth to the roast before cooking in oven.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:03 PM

Don't know how this would work for steaks but it's great for a

roast: 1 pkg onion soup mix ; 1 [or 2] can of mushroom soup and 1 crock-pot. Soup mix is salty and I don't season with anything else. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes. So GOOD!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

I do almost like Pollym's, but mine is 1 can tomato soup, 1 can of cream of mushroom, and 1 pack of the dreid onion soup.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:38 PM

As a matter of fact we are having the cubed Steak tonite

I put Meat Tend. on them,S&P and flour lightly.....fry them up in alittle EVOO..... Then take Cream Of Celery Soup plus 1 can of water....2 cans of mushrooms...cook slow for a few hrs.

I guess I'm like everyone else.... Cut it up to get the flavor in it better.......In a slow cooker.....use soups and dried onion mix or mushroons mixture...... I also like to cook the tenderloin rubbed with EVOO and put fresh Rosemary in with it!! Yummy!!

I like to take a leftover roast and make BBQ's with that...good too...
Old 03-23-2011, 01:48 PM

I use the oil, soy sauce, garlic and pepper like feline fanatic, but add a some ginger, either chopped fresh, from a jar or a big sprinkle of dry.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:44 PM

Family loves just basic Italian Dressing ( yep right out of the bottle) as a marinade
Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 PM

A good steak marinade....I use it for beef or venison....I don't measure, so you may want to add more or less of each ingredient depending on taste:

Worchester Sauce 2-3 tablespoons
Soy Sauce 1 tablespoon
Garlic Powder 1/2 teaspoon (or you can use fresh)
Steak Sauce - any brand sweet&spicey 2 tablespoons
Lemon Juice 3-4 tablespoons

Mix first 4 ingredients first, then stir in lemon juice. This makes enough to coat 2 large Delemonico steaks. You can lay them in a glass dish or SS pan or use a ziploc bag. Marinade a few hours or over night. Grill or pan fry.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:51 AM

Seven Seas® Italian Dressing
Found this out by accident...as one year we had a "gamey" venison... cut into strips, pan fry/saute/stir-fry with the Italian Dressing (or any favorite brand of one with oil, vinegar and spices). Could even make a light sauce with some cornstarch; add some veggies; serve over rice. Manga!