Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
looking for recipe for Butter cream icing >

looking for recipe for Butter cream icing

looking for recipe for Butter cream icing

Old 02-12-2012, 09:01 AM

Red face looking for recipe for Butter cream icing

At work we are having a "bake off" of cupcakes, and I am looking for an icing recipe that will hold up and not sag when sitting out. Like the ones at the fancy cupcake stores. Any help would be appreciated. thanks Cher in Victoria
Old 02-12-2012, 12:25 PM

Check out the icing recipes on the Wilton site. there are some that call for merangue powder as a stabilizer that would work for what you want.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:17 AM

I have this one I received at a cake decorating class. I've been using it to decorate with for over 40 years.
Buttercream Icing
1/2 cup solid Crisco ( use the butter flavored one if it's going to be tinted a color)
1/4 cup of milk
1/2 teas. white vanilla (if tinting, can be regular vanilla)
2 drips of butter flavoring (can be bought at Walmart or through a cake decorating store)
1 box of powdered sugar (Domino works best and I always buy an extra amount just in case the icing is thin)
2 Tablespoons of clear corn syrup to keep frosting from cracking

Mix for four minutes on low speed.

It's easy to make and is always good. This recipe doesn't leave that greasy taste in the roof of your mouth as store bought cakes have.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

No butter? No Cream?
How can it be called Butter Cream?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 AM

I make an icing with the following:
1 box of powdered sugar, 1 block of butter, 1- 3 oz. slab of Philadelphia cream cheese, 1 tsp. vanilla, and enough milk or cream to make the icing spreadable. Combine the following with an electric mixer. Chocolate squares may be added if you want a chocolate icing. Melt these in the micro with the butter. This is a delicious icing.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
I have this one I received at a cake decorating class. I've been using it to decorate with for over 40 years.
Buttercream Icing
1/2 cup solid Crisco ( use the butter flavored one if it's going to be tinted a color)
1/4 cup of milk
1/2 teas. white vanilla (if tinting, can be regular vanilla)
2 drips of butter flavoring (can be bought at Walmart or through a cake decorating store)
1 box of powdered sugar (Domino works best and I always buy an extra amount just in case the icing is thin)
2 Tablespoons of clear corn syrup to keep frosting from cracking

Mix for four minutes on low speed.

It's easy to make and is always good. This recipe doesn't leave that greasy taste in the roof of your mouth as store bought cakes have.
This is the one I used when I did cake decorating. If you use butter your frosting is off white instead of white. My recipe called for a pinch of salt, that helps to cut the sweetness a bit.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 AM

mmmmmmmmmI loooooooove buttercream!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
This is the one I used when I did cake decorating. If you use butter your frosting is off white instead of white. My recipe called for a pinch of salt, that helps to cut the sweetness a bit.
This icing has the BEST flavor.... I think it is th Cisco... Ha ha.....
Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by granny64 View Post
I make an icing with the following:
1 box of powdered sugar, 1 block of butter, 1- 3 oz. slab of Philadelphia cream cheese, 1 tsp. vanilla, and enough milk or cream to make the icing spreadable. Combine the following with an electric mixer. Chocolate squares may be added if you want a chocolate icing. Melt these in the micro with the butter. This is a delicious icing.
Do you melt the butter before adding to other ingredients or do you just melt it when you use chocolate?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:11 AM

The thing about using butter in buttercream is that it isn't as safe to leave out for a long time. In 4-H, kids can't use butter in frostings when taking to the fair. The shortening recipe is the one they have to use because of food safety. Several members of my family once got a bit of food poisoning after eating a birthday cake that had set outside for several hours (butter in the frosting). This is something to consider when making a cake to sell.