Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: looking for recipe for Butter cream icing

Red face looking for recipe for Butter cream icing

At work we are having a "bake off" of cupcakes, and I am looking for an icing recipe that will hold up and not sag when sitting out. Like the ones at the fancy cupcake stores. Any help would be appreciated. thanks Cher in Victoria
    Cher
    Work like you don't need the money.

Check out the icing recipes on the Wilton site. there are some that call for merangue powder as a stabilizer that would work for what you want.

I have this one I received at a cake decorating class. I've been using it to decorate with for over 40 years.
    Buttercream Icing
    1/2 cup solid Crisco ( use the butter flavored one if it's going to be tinted a color)
    1/4 cup of milk
    1/2 teas. white vanilla (if tinting, can be regular vanilla)
    2 drips of butter flavoring (can be bought at Walmart or through a cake decorating store)
    1 box of powdered sugar (Domino works best and I always buy an extra amount just in case the icing is thin)
    2 Tablespoons of clear corn syrup to keep frosting from cracking

Mix for four minutes on low speed.

It's easy to make and is always good. This recipe doesn't leave that greasy taste in the roof of your mouth as store bought cakes have.
    Karen in Kentucky

No butter? No Cream?
    How can it be called Butter Cream?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I make an icing with the following:
    1 box of powdered sugar, 1 block of butter, 1- 3 oz. slab of Philadelphia cream cheese, 1 tsp. vanilla, and enough milk or cream to make the icing spreadable. Combine the following with an electric mixer. Chocolate squares may be added if you want a chocolate icing. Melt these in the micro with the butter. This is a delicious icing.

Quote Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
    I have this one I received at a cake decorating class. I've been using it to decorate with for over 40 years.
    Buttercream Icing
    1/2 cup solid Crisco ( use the butter flavored one if it's going to be tinted a color)
    1/4 cup of milk
    1/2 teas. white vanilla (if tinting, can be regular vanilla)
    2 drips of butter flavoring (can be bought at Walmart or through a cake decorating store)
    1 box of powdered sugar (Domino works best and I always buy an extra amount just in case the icing is thin)
    2 Tablespoons of clear corn syrup to keep frosting from cracking

Mix for four minutes on low speed.

It's easy to make and is always good. This recipe doesn't leave that greasy taste in the roof of your mouth as store bought cakes have.
    This is the one I used when I did cake decorating. If you use butter your frosting is off white instead of white. My recipe called for a pinch of salt, that helps to cut the sweetness a bit.

mmmmmmmmmI loooooooove buttercream!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North View Post
    This is the one I used when I did cake decorating. If you use butter your frosting is off white instead of white. My recipe called for a pinch of salt, that helps to cut the sweetness a bit.
    This icing has the BEST flavor.... I think it is th Cisco... Ha ha.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by granny64 View Post
    I make an icing with the following:
    1 box of powdered sugar, 1 block of butter, 1- 3 oz. slab of Philadelphia cream cheese, 1 tsp. vanilla, and enough milk or cream to make the icing spreadable. Combine the following with an electric mixer. Chocolate squares may be added if you want a chocolate icing. Melt these in the micro with the butter. This is a delicious icing.
    Do you melt the butter before adding to other ingredients or do you just melt it when you use chocolate?
    Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone. Pablo Picasso

Blog Entries
    The thing about using butter in buttercream is that it isn't as safe to leave out for a long time. In 4-H, kids can't use butter in frostings when taking to the fair. The shortening recipe is the one they have to use because of food safety. Several members of my family once got a bit of food poisoning after eating a birthday cake that had set outside for several hours (butter in the frosting). This is something to consider when making a cake to sell.
    Novie
    Working my way through life, one block at a time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast