Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
looking for >

looking for

looking for

Old 10-22-2014, 07:01 AM

Default looking for

Since it is apple time I have been wanting dried apple chips and cannot find my recipe can anyone help me
Old 10-23-2014, 04:16 PM

I made some yesterday. Peel apples (save peels). Remove apple cores and slice thinly. Place on parchment paper on baking sheet. Place peels in plastic bag with cinnamon and sugar...shake well. Place on parchment paper on baking sheet. Put oven temp at WARM and bake over night. Makes crispy snacks.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:58 AM

When I was a kid we had a large concrete well cover. Mother put the apple slices in a muslin bag and we would prepare the apples as trolleystation described. We would put the bag on that wellcover. We would turn the bag every couple of hours until they were dried. One would think that ants would get them but because it was in the direct sun the cover was so hot that they didn't want their little feet burned. Those apples were the greatest to use for pies and anything cooked or baked.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Funny you should ask this. I saved the Walmart free Live Better magazine from Sept. 2014 here in Canada. It was titled Reinventing Turkey for our Canadian Thanksgiving. It had a section on apple recipes. I will try to type out their recipe for

Homemade Apple Chips. 225F-2hours
1 and 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 gala apples, unpeeled, cored and sliced thin on a mandolin

Position oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 225F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
Stir sugar and nutmeg in a small bowl.
Prepare apple slices and arrange slices in a single layer on prepared sheets. Sprinkle with nutmeg/sugar mixture.
Bake in top and bottom thirds of oven until edges are ruffled.(1hour) Flip apple slices, switch sheet positions on oven racks and continue baking until apple slices are golden (1 more hour) Slices will crisp up as they cool.

I have not tried this recipe but I saved the magazines as it had several I want to do.