Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
looking for trout fillet >

looking for trout fillet

looking for trout fillet

Old 04-16-2011, 02:52 PM

Had a free sample of Steelhead trout at the store, and GS loved it. So had to buy a couple of fillets. She used a rub and grilled it on indoor grill covered with tin foil. Has anyone fixed this and have a good recipe?
Old 04-16-2011, 03:54 PM

I love trout. I sometimes coat it with chopped pecans and sautee it, or just pan fry it, or season and wrap in foil and cook it on the grill. Enjoy!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:54 AM

When I make cook trout, I gut them, leave on the fins and head, lay them in a foiled pan, brush melted butter and lemon juice all over them, bake them in the oven at 350* until the eyes turn white. Then they are done.

Actually, served with toast and scrambled eggs, they make the best breakfast in the world.

Edie

PS - You have to catch them yourself. They taste better. They don't taste as good when you buy them at the store. They have sort of a liver-y taste to them because they are grown on a trout farm!
Old 04-17-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
Had a free sample of Steelhead trout at the store, and GS loved it. So had to buy a couple of fillets. She used a rub and grilled it on indoor grill covered with tin foil. Has anyone fixed this and have a good recipe?
My son and his family go trout fishing every season and I am the lucky recipient of lots of rainbow and brown trout. My favorite (and easiest) way to fix them is to cook them whole (sometimes I remove the heads if they are too big to fit in the skillet). I salt them, dredge in flour, shake off the excess, just kind of smooth the flour on with my hands, then cook in a little oil and butter in a cast iron skillet until browned and crispy on both sides. There's nothing as good as crispy fried trout skin (and trout has NO scales to deal with). I serve them with lemon wedges. If you want, skatter some thinly sliced almonds in the skillet and you'll have trout almondine, but I don't like almonds and never thought they added anything to the fish.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
My son and his family go trout fishing every season and I am the lucky recipient of lots of rainbow and brown trout. My favorite (and easiest) way to fix them is to cook them whole (sometimes I remove the heads if they are too big to fit in the skillet). I salt them, dredge in flour, shake off the excess, just kind of smooth the flour on with my hands, then cook in a little oil and butter in a cast iron skillet until browned and crispy on both sides. There's nothing as good as crispy fried trout skin (and trout has NO scales to deal with). I serve them with lemon wedges. If you want, skatter some thinly sliced almonds in the skillet and you'll have trout almondine, but I don't like almonds and never thought they added anything to the fish.
A lady after my own heart. Nothing better than a Spider (cast iron skillet). I asked mom and dad for one for Christmas when my husband and I were first married - I got three!!!!!! Use them all the time - got a good "seasoning" coat on the outside and make the best fried Crappies and Walleyes. I use Italian seasoned bread crumbs when I fry fish! I love fish! My mom always said I should have been Catholic! Never to mind - Mom, Lutherans like fish, too. Oh, yah, a typical fish dinner here is American fries, fish, bread (in case you get a bone stuck) and coleslaw. We used to go to Lake MilleLacs in Minnesota and go out in a launch and fish for walleyes for four hours and relax and enjoy the rocking of the boat. Don't get me going here. Edie
Oh, yah, we used to go to the Willow River and the Kinnikinnic River in Wisconsin and sit on the bank and catch Rainbow and German Brown trout. Son and I would run the hose in the back yard and the night crawlers would come up and we'd put them in a tin can and dirt and put them in the refrigerator until my husband came home from work. I'd have dinner all packed and he'd shower, change clothes and we were off to Hudson and/or River Falls, Wisconsin to catch some trout. Now you can only dry fly fish there and we are not dry fly fishermen! That's all. Oh yah, only kidding. Have a great day! Edie
Old 04-17-2011, 07:08 AM

Edie, why do you leave the head on? Just wondering.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rann
Edie, why do you leave the head on? Just wondering.
When the eyes turn white the meat is cooked through! And besides it looks a little gourmet!!!!!!!! I have always done it like that - only trout! Edie
Old 04-17-2011, 05:56 PM

Saw the word "crappie" and knew you are from Minnesota. Walleyes are right up there with steak, in price. Thanks for the recipes, everyone.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota
Saw the word "crappie" and knew you are from Minnesota. Walleyes are right up there with steak, in price. Thanks for the recipes, everyone.
I guess it is all in the pronunciation, eh? Edie
Old 04-18-2011, 06:03 PM

ALL trout, into the frying pan with butter eat it just like that.
I put lots of kinds of fish in foil. You can bake it in the 400* oven as well as on a grill.
Add fresh lemon juice....