Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Looking for a winning desert. >

Looking for a winning desert.

Looking for a winning desert.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
My mom had a recipe from her mom for a chocolate fudge frosting. It was wonderful and easy to make.

I have made it for years, then about 10 years ago, I noticed that it just doesn't come out the same anymore. It is still good, but it seems to crystalize more than it used to. Before, when it set is had a very smooth texture, just like fudge, but now it sets, but the smoothness is gone and it doesn't melt in your mouth like it did long ago.
I wonder why?
Any hint of liquid in your bowl, pan, utensils will make fudge grainy. Even humidity can do it. Be sure to butter the sides of the pan so no grains of sugar stick and then fall into the pan later and once you've stirred it altogether, don't re-use that spoon as you cook it as the grains of sugar stuck to it can cause graininess.
Watson

Last edited by Watson; 07-17-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

I wonder why?
Maybe you have changed an ingredient, unknowingly?
Maybe you are doing something different than in the past, also unknowingly?

Without sharing the recipe with us, it is hard for anyone to make an educated guess that could help you.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:10 PM

Look on the Pillsbury website for their chocolate praline cake recipe. Best if you let it in the refrigerator for about 24 hours before you eat it. It won the bakeoff years ago. I make it for myself for my birthday every year.
White Velvet Layer Cake with Strawberry-Raspberry Mascarpone Buttercream,,http://wickedgoodkitchen.com/white-v...e-buttercream/. This is quite a bit of work but delicious.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
Look on the Pillsbury website for their chocolate praline cake recipe. Best if you let it in the refrigerator for about 24 hours before you eat it. It won the bakeoff years ago. I make it for myself for my birthday every year.
White Velvet Layer Cake with Strawberry-Raspberry Mascarpone Buttercream,,http://wickedgoodkitchen.com/white-v...e-buttercream/. This is quite a bit of work but delicious.
I totally agree with the chocolate praline recommendation- it is always a winner.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:48 PM

onebyone, thanks for posting your oatmeal cake. I made this as a teen years ago & am tickled to find it again. Have been looking for it for years. Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:05 AM

I made an Amaretto pound cake for a quilt group meeting and it turned out very good. I could go look up the recipe if you are interested.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:29 AM
mac

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Maybe you have changed an ingredient, unknowingly?
Maybe you are doing something different than in the past, also unknowingly?

Without sharing the recipe with us, it is hard for anyone to make an educated guess that could help you.
I'll have to find the recipe and send it so you all can maybe give me suggestions. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

My mom had a recipe from her mom for a chocolate fudge frosting. It was wonderful and easy to make.

I have made it for years, then about 10 years ago, I noticed that it just doesn't come out the same anymore. It is still good, but it seems to crystalize more than it used to. Before, when it set is had a very smooth texture, just like fudge, but now it sets, but the smoothness is gone and it doesn't melt in your mouth like it did long ago.
I wonder why?
If it calls for butter, the butter made now has much more water in it, especially the cheaper brands. Land of Lakes is the butter I buy for baking as it seems to not have excess water. This makes a difference especially in the older recipes.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:45 PM
mac

Thanks, onebyone, you may be on to something there. It seemed a lot looser that it used to be when I made it than it used to be. I thought it might just be me. I'll take your advice and use Land of Lakes butter. Of course, now I am going to have to find it in the "I don't make this any more forgotten file." Good luck with that.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:22 PM
mac

I'm sending two of my favorite dessert recipes. Since it is a pot luck, I always try to think of easy hand food. The first recipe, I have had for years and everybody asks for the recipe when I bring them, so I started bringing copies with me.

CRISPY COOKIES

These are the best cookies, they have a great flavor and the Rice Krispies give it a nice crunch. The recipe makes a large amount of cookies. When I take these to our quilting retreats, there are never any cookies left.

INGREDIENTS

 1 C butter, softened
 1 scant C oil
 1 egg
 1 C sugar
 1 C brown sugar
 1 t Baking Soda
 1 t Cream of Tartar
 ½ t salt
 3 ½ C flour
 1 C Rice Krispies
 1 C minute oats (quick cooking)