Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Maid-Rites?

Pockyscorner, just saw your post.....the gum wall is still there and growing!

I've never heard of Maid Rite, but used one of the above recipes last night. Not sure how it's supposed to taste! but my son and I both liked them. The meat kept falling out of the bun, it seemed a nice change from sloppy joes. Maybe next time I'll put some cheese on them.

Maid-Rites were served with a spoon/fork just because the meat spilled out. I have a t-shirt from Tom & Rosanne's Loose Meat Cafe in Iowa.

Here's what I did and they were great: for 1 lb of gr. beef, I cooked but not browned. Break it up really well. Drain. Then, I added 3 TBSP of hydrated onion flakes, 1/4 c of beef broth and 3 TBSP of water, S & P. Simmer until most of the liquid is gone. That's it! Pile the meat on buns with mustard, and dill pickle slices. Prepare to fix a second one. You'll want it. If cheese is put on the meat on the bun it's called a Cheese-Rite.
    Sandy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    I have never heard of Maid Rite. It sounds interesting. Thanks Solstice I didn't realize theere was one near here. My quilt guild retreat is near Greenville,OH. I was planning on stopping there to go to the KItchen Aid outlet. Now I know where I will go for lunch. MMMM! I lok forward to trying it. White Castle hamburgers are Yummy once in a while. I also used to eat them in college after the bars closed. They do seem to taste the best when you are drunk. I am years past that but I do stop in about once a year.
    Maid rites in Greenville,Oh are very popular and just a few blocks down the street from Kitchen Aid. At meal times the drive thru is back up out on the street. Enjoy your visit!

We just had a new Maid-Rite diner open up in town. I think the owner is from Iowa. There use to be one in Rochester , but it closed down.

Sure wish they'd come to Buckeye country!!

The original Mid Rite was in Muscatine, Ia. William Angell was the founder. I used to live next to his widow, Bea. I now luve in Marshalltown where Taylor's Maid Rite ships sandwiches all over the country.

Well I found a link to the official Maid-Rite corp.
    http://maid-rite.com/index.php

I remember several places in Iowa calling their loose meat sandwiches maid rites and also taverns. These were not franchises. I didn't know there was a place called Maid Rite, it just seemed like a regional name for the loose meat sandwiches I knew as a sloppy joe. However at the site they list locations of franchises and there is one in Ohio listed at Piqua. I also saw a wikipedia listing with some of the history of it.

P.S. I just happened across this old post as I was searching for something else.

If you need to find a recipe and only know some of the ingredients then try Super Cook: http://www.supercook.com/

I grew up in S. California, Del Taco had a Taco Burger. Quite delicious. Basically taco filling on a bun instead of a tortilla. It's loose meat and you had to be careful of the meat falling out. I like to eat sloppy joes with a fork. I think eating one of them like a sandwich would be really messy. Arn't these type sandwiches basically a maid rite?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast