Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Meatloaf recipe >

Meatloaf recipe

Meatloaf recipe

Old 09-22-2015, 04:20 PM

I love meatloaf and had been doing the same thing for 30-35 years until I found this one in Taste of Home magazine. It's called Sage Meatloaf.
1 egg
2/3 C. milk
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire
1 C. crushed saltines
1/4 C. finely chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I use 90% or 93% lean beef)
Bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Combine 1/4 C. ketchup, 3 Tbsps. brown sugar, 1 tsp. ground mustard, and 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg. Spread over top. Bake for 15-20 minutes more. Meat thermometer should read 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.

I think I need to make some of this soon.

Leslie
Old 09-22-2015, 05:24 PM

I got this recipe from AllRecipes and it's the best I have found...Called Rempel Family Meatloaf

+1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
+1/2 cup crushed buttery round crackers
+3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
+1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
+2 eggs, beaten
+1/4 cup ketchup
+2 tablespoons steak sauce

Directions

Prep
10 m

Cook
45 m

Ready In
55 m
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Stir the ground beef, crushed crackers, Cheddar cheese, and onion soup mix in a large bowl until well combined. Whisk the eggs, ketchup, and steak sauce in a separate bowl until smooth. Mix the eggs into the meat until evenly combined, if the mixture seems too dry, add a little water. Press into a 9x5 inch loaf pan.

Bake in preheated oven until the meatloaf reaches 160 degrees F (71 degrees C) and is no longer pink in the center, 45 to 60 minutes.

Last edited by ShabbyTabby; 09-22-2015 at 05:31 PM. Reason: unwanted text
Old 10-04-2015, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf

1 1/2 lb gr beef
1 tsp minced onion
1 c dry bread crumbs
15 oz can tomato sauce, divided
1 tsp pepper
2 eggs

Combine all ingr and 1/2 tomato sauce. Form loaf and bake at 350 for 50 min.
TOPPING: Remaining tomato sauce, 2 Tbl brown sugar, 2 Tbl vinegar, 1/2 c sugar and 2 tsp mustard. Combine all ingr and bring to a boil. Pour over meat loaf and bake for 10 more min.

I have used this for over 25 yrs and will use today in a zucchini boat - with small meatloafs with left overs in cupcake tin.
My beef has onions, bell peppers, eggs, and oatmeal..the can of tomato sauce is mixed with 1/4 c brn sugar, 1/4 c cider vinegar, 1Tbs prepared mustard. Then half goes into the meat mixture--the other half is used to baste the top of the loaf while cooking. I have never boiled the sauce mix before using. I got my recipe from a book of ''hamburger'' recipes maybe 40 or more yrs ago. I've only used this recipe ever since.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:56 AM

I have made meatloaf using a lot of different ingredients. But the best one was yesterday. I followed the recipe on the box of Lipton beefy onion soup mix. and added some Baby Rays' sweet BBQ sauce. I baked it in a large square corning ware dish. Everyone loved it.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion View Post
I have made meatloaf using a lot of different ingredients. But the best one was yesterday. I followed the recipe on the box of Lipton beefy onion soup mix. and added some Baby Rays' sweet BBQ sauce. I baked it in a large square corning ware dish. Everyone loved it.
This is interesting because I bought 7 lbs ground beef on sale day before yesterday and discovered I had only a small can tomato sauce when I got home. I made loaves to put in the freezer and let home canned tomato juice and the sweet BBQ sauce make up the balance of the sauce mixture for the meat loaves. As I mentioned above (sweet & sour), half of the sauce mexture went into the beef and remainder for basting. I just knew it had to work! and anxious to put one in the oven. But leftovers to use up first.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:28 PM

All of you ladies are very good cooks, I would venture to say after reading everyone's favorite recipes. And hard working individuals. I worked full time and cooked for husband and three children when our stove quit working just before Christmas. DH did not know the stove had stopped working, but he and the kids purchased an Amana touchmatic II Radarange Microwave oven for me with a cookbook. (copyright 1977) with a classic meat loaf recipe I have used ever since. Bakes in a 1100 watt oven in 18 minutes. Easy, quick, and simple to do.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:39 PM

ingredients: 1 -1 1/2 obs of ground beef, 1 8 oz tomato sauce, 1 egg, slightly beaten, 1 c. quaker oats, 1 TBS. onion minced, 1 teaspoon, salt, 1/8 teasp. garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Mix together and form loaf in a glass bread loaf pan, making a 'dent' down the middle and around the sides.

Make the sauce to put over the meat loaf...1/3 c. of catsup; 1 teaspoon of worcestershire sauce, One Ts., of darkbrown sugar and 1 tbsp of prepared mustard...pour over loaf and bake in the mircrowave for 18 minutes. This classical meatloaf can be made with ground turkey/chicken mixture instead of beef. I add chopped green and red peppers to the chicken.

I cooked for a year and a half without a stove...using the mircowave for everything. I learned a lot.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:07 PM

And this one making the rounds on face book:It really doesn’t get much easier than this three-minute meatloaf in a mug. And the results are incredibly tasty!Ingredients:
  • Canola oil
  • 2 Tbsp. milk
  • 1 Tbsp. ketchup
  • 2 Tbsp. quick cooking oats
  • Garlic powder
  • Sea salt
  • 1/4 lb. ground beef
Directions:
  1. Grease mug with canola oil.
  2. Combine milk, ketchup, oats, garlic powder, and salt in mug.
  3. Spoon ground beef into mug.
  4. Stir ingredients thoroughly.
  5. Cook on high for 3 minutes, or until meat is cooked through.
  6. Allow to cool and serve with additional ketchup, as desired.
Meatloaf has always been one of my favorite things to eat, and now I can cook myself a single serving without having to make an entire meatloaf. I definitely plan to try this incredibly simple recipe as soon as I can!
Old 10-20-2015, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
And this one making the rounds on face book:It really doesn’t get much easier than this three-minute meatloaf in a mug. And the results are incredibly tasty!Ingredients:
  • Canola oil
  • 2 Tbsp. milk
  • 1 Tbsp. ketchup
  • 2 Tbsp. quick cooking oats
  • Garlic powder
  • Sea salt
  • 1/4 lb. ground beef
Directions:
  1. Grease mug with canola oil.
  2. Combine milk, ketchup, oats, garlic powder, and salt in mug.
  3. Spoon ground beef into mug.
  4. Stir ingredients thoroughly.
  5. Cook on high for 3 minutes, or until meat is cooked through.
  6. Allow to cool and serve with additional ketchup, as desired.
Meatloaf has always been one of my favorite things to eat, and now I can cook myself a single serving without having to make an entire meatloaf. I definitely plan to try this incredibly simple recipe as soon as I can!
This sounds really good. I'm going to pass it along to my 2 kids. This is something they can do to get a real meal in a short time after work. Thanks!

Leslie
Old 11-04-2015, 09:29 AM

I've been using the recipe on the back pf Lipton Onion Soup Mix. I like to use ground chuck and at times the meat loaf mix (chuck, pork and veal) available at the local farm market. I don't usually put anything on top of the meatloaf when I bake it as DH likes to put ketchup on it while I like my meatloaf without any topping. My mother used to pour a couple of 8 oz. cans of Del Monte tomato sauce on top of the meatloaf before baking it and later one added can of drained peas to the pan about half hour before loaf is cooked.

Last edited by missmay; 11-04-2015 at 09:31 AM.