Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Must Have Side Dish For Thanksgiving >

Must Have Side Dish For Thanksgiving

Must Have Side Dish For Thanksgiving

Old 11-17-2011, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by kaylfordsollimo View Post
Homemade cranberry/orange relish. I use a food processor to crush fresh cranberries, add in a navel orange (peal and all cut into chunks to fit the shute), toss in walnuts and pulse just enough to break the walnuts into smaller pieces. When all of that is at a consistency that appeals to you add granulated sugar to taste. I prefer the tartness of the cranberries so mine is not so sweet. You can also use a sugar substitute if you are concerned about calories or are diabetic.
Never tried walnuts in my cranberry sauce and I will have to give that a try. I use fresh cranberries and oranges/juice but it is cooked (brought to a slow boil) and cooked just until the cranberries pop. Do you not cook your's?
Old 11-17-2011, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by southernmema View Post
Our dressing is the same, however we add a stick of melted butter and some canned milk to the broth. Yummy!
Another side dish that is traditional for us is Lime Congealed Salad with pineapple and pecans. Also yummy!
Can you elaborate a little on the Lime Congealed Salad.... sounds delish!
Old 11-17-2011, 05:05 AM

Ditto the broccoli rice casserole. My family loves my homemade cranberry relish.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:02 AM

Can't do without corncake casserole - so easy to make, too.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:42 AM

I roast sweet potato chunks, carrots, onions, and potatoes in the oven. Cut them up, drizzle olive oil on the pieces, sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss, and put the dish in the oven with the bird for the last hour or hour and a half. Yummy.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:05 PM

I make a Broccoli Cauliflower Salad that my mother always said Christmas wasn't Christmas without it, she went to be with the Lord in 2002 and I still make it every holiday. My family loves it.

Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
Broccli cut in small pieces
Cauliflour cut in small pieces
1/2 cup red oinion
3/4 cup Colby cheese (Grated)
1/2 cup real bacon bits

DRESSING
1 cup miracle whip salad dressing
1/3 cup white sugar
4 Tbsp. Red Wine vinegar
Stir all together and pour over salad about 1/2 hour before serving.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by joyce j View Post
Every thing sounds sooo good. But I am alone an wont be making muchm An its my birthday also. Happy Thanksgiving to every one. but I will be here as usual, joyce j
Joyce, I hope you have a Happy Birthday. Kids are going to in-laws so I'll be alone too after I get off work.
I'm getting myself a turkey TV dinner & a can of turkey dog food for my pup. We'll have our own Thanksgiving celebration.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:46 PM

Some of my favorites for sure, expecially since I'm a Texan!! Yum, yum.
Originally Posted by ShowMama View Post
Each member of my family has his/her own favorites, and they expect me to cook each and every one of them. Of course, we have turkey, and these days we fry it. I have to have cornbread dressing and giblet gravy. MMMM!! My husband orders candied sweet potatoes, my oldest daughter cheesy broccoli rice casserole, and the younger daughter must have mashed potatoes and green bean casserole. My son-in-law of two years hasn't worked up the nerve to ask for anything special yet, and he pretty much eats whatever I fix. Sometimes I also add fruit salad to the meal. Then of course there are all those pies, cakes, and other sweets. My mouth is watering now!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:48 PM

Well...if you were closer you could share my Thanksgiving goodies, I'll think of you as I am making a little piggy of myself. God bless.
Originally Posted by joyce j View Post
Every thing sounds sooo good. But I am alone an wont be making muchm An its my birthday also. Happy Thanksgiving to every one. but I will be here as usual, joyce j
Old 11-19-2011, 05:44 AM

CRANBERRY CURRY COLESLAW

My husband found this recipe in a newspaper about 10-12 years ago. He read it to me, said "I want to try this for Thanksgiving". It sounded abssolutely awful to me and would not make it, so he did. It was SO delicious that it has become one of our (many) dishes that "it isn't Thanksgiving without".

2 pkgs finely shredded coleslaw mix
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
3/4 to 1 cup of Mayonaisse (Hellman's of course)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cup dried cranberries
curry powder (regular curry - NOT the hot type)

Mix the dressing sour cream, milk and mayonaisse together until smooth. In a very large mixing bowl add the dressing to the coleslaw. Add in the cranberries and mix well. Add curry powder, a little at a time, until the taste is to your liking. ( I normally use about 1/4 cup or a little more for this). Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, and add in walnuts just before serving.