Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need Help >

Need Help

Need Help

Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 AM

Default Need Help

My husband had just found out he is diabete and I need recipes and help with meal planning.

Bdor
Old 12-30-2011, 09:02 AM

There are LOTS of recipes online. There are also lots of groups and classes that help guide meal planning. I've pretty much deleted sodas (of any kind) and changed sweets to fruits (fresh when in season). And I do much more exercising - mostly walking. Good luck, it does get better.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BDor View Post
My husband had just found out he is diabete and I need recipes and help with meal planning.
Bdor

ditto on the suggestion to Google for recipes online.
Also, check out the Diabetes website.

A referral to a Dietitian would be a good start for both you and your husband. S/He would be able to help you understand/learn more about diabetes and how to adapt your lifestyle, food choices and meal planning to work for you.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:47 AM

Once you figure out WHAT he will be eating, familiarize him with your measuring cups. Most men don't know what a half cup looks like, unless they cook. My husband still pulls out the 1/2 cup measure for cereals, even though he's been watching his portions for a couple of years.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:57 AM

I have been diabetic for thirty-nine years since I was twelve years old. The best thing to do is to get a visit to a dietitian and get a fix on how much a serving actually is That is the hardest part
Old 12-30-2011, 12:21 PM

As the others have stated, always measure until both of you are familiar with actual portions. His doctor should be able to recommend a dietitian as well as give you some tips and pointers. Here is a good website to use for all kinds of information.

www.diabeticlivingonline.com

Good luck. It does get better. I am not diabetic, but haved lived around many my entire life and have cooked for several.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:35 PM

The dietician will also teach you how to read labels when you shop. This in itself is invaluable information. You wouldn't believe the hidden stuff in processed foods. Good luck with your search. Once you get the hang of it, you will BOTH benefit.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:43 PM

The best is with a dietician and they can tell him/you what amts he should have depending on his wgt. Does he have a diabetes monitor One Touch will let you go on there if you do and they will let you put in your info and they ask you online some Q's about what you like to eat they will make up a diet for him and he can go in and if they gave him a food he doesn't like he can click on it and they will give him choices. It's good to help him out they give a lot of info to you also. He'll mainly have to monitor carbs in any form. Sweets are allowed but you have to learn to swap foods for the amt of carbs/sweets. He'll be ok once he gets used to how much of each thing he can have and when. Good Luck. Sue
Old 12-30-2011, 05:02 PM

check with the education dept at yourlocal hospital they probalby offer diabetic classess once amonth .
alos call their dietician, they will probably mail you some sample diets.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:49 PM

Check with your local Extension office. Ours has all kinds of free information and recipes as well as classes you can attend. The Home Economist in that office will also work with you and or your husband with eating/nutrition if you want them to.
Also your local health department should have diabetic classes and information.
Good luck!