Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need a really good southern corn bread recipe >

Need a really good southern corn bread recipe

Need a really good southern corn bread recipe

Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 AM

Question Need a really good southern corn bread recipe

I may be from Michigan but my roots are in the south and I learned to cook from my dear MIL who lived in the Arkansas Ozarks.... good cooking.... down home cooking. But, her cornbread is made with white corn meal and not a speck of sugar.

My favorite cornbread is the yellow variety and it's sweet. My DH calls it Johnny Cake but I love it. The best I ever had was from a BBQ stand in Port St. Joe, Fla. Their greens were to die for, too.

But I want a really great cornbread recipe that's like that awesome Johnny Cake in Fla. Does anyone have that good southern recipe that I can have...... ????
Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 AM

jiffy corn bread mix. just add water and mix.. you can always add hot peppers for taste.etc
Old 05-29-2013, 10:46 AM

Jiffy corn bread mix really is the easiest way to go. And yummy to boot. The only recipe I have sucks. And I hate that cuz I love corn bread but have sworn off flour/sugar. Looking for a recipe with corn meal that I can substitute the sugar.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 AM

Are you able to purchase Quaker yellow corn meal ? The recipe on the box has been on there since 1950 that I know of. It is sweet and good and I have won ribbons at fairs on it. Good luck. We add halipinios and sometimes crawfish to it. Yummy ! Hugs
Old 05-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

My all time favorite from the Dinosaur BBQ. About as yankee as you can get but the recipe's roots are southern.

Honey Hush Cornbread
(Recipe from Dinosaur BBQ)
Dry stuff
1 ¼ cups cornmeal,
¼ cup sugar,
¾ flour,
1 ½ tsp. baking powder,
½ tsp. baking soda,
1 tsp kosher salt,

Wet stuff
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs slightly beaten
4 tablespoons melted butter (I’ve made it with only two and substituted 2 tblsp of nonfat plain yogurt for the other two and it was good, if you want to make with less fat)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 to 2 tablespoons honey

Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8 by 8 inch baking pan with shortening. Pop the pan in the oven to heat while you mix up the cornbread.
Put mix in medium sized mixing bowl. Combine all wet ingredients EXCEPT HONEY and pour into the mix. Give them a good stir just until everything is moistened.
Pull the hot greased pan from the oven and pour in the batter. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Take the cornbread out of the oven and brush the top with the honey while it is still hot.
Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan before cutting into squares and serving.
Cheddar-Jalapeno Variation
Make cornbread as above and stir in 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese and 1 to 2 medium size jalapeno peppers seeded and minced into the prepared batter. Increase bake time to 30 to 35 minutes and still glaze with honey as instructed above.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:00 PM

Chips88 and NJQuilter, I've had Jiffy cornbread many times. The Jiffy mill is only 15 miles away when we're down state in the winter. Some of my SIL's family works there. It's good cornbread but not the 'to die for' taste I'm looking for. Maybe adding jalapenos would help. I may try that.

Omacookie and feline fanatic--- these look promising. I'll give them both a try.

Thanks to all of you...... I'll get that perfect cornbread.... I know it.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 PM

Ladies! I beg to disagree with you! Real Southern Cornbread does NOT have any sugar in it. Jiffy does!
Try This, I think it comes on the back of Martha White Cornmeal. Not the Cornmeal Mix!
Cornbread
Preheat a seasoned 8" iron skillet as your oven preheats to 450 degrees.
Mix together 2 cups Martha White Cornmeal, 1 tsp. salt, 2 tsp. baking soda, 1 egg, and 3/4-7/8 c. of buttermilk.
Remove skillet from hot oven carefully, put 1/4 c. bacon grease or cooking oil into skillet, then pour all but a tablespoon of hot grease into cornbread mixture, stir. Sprinkle a tablespoon or so of fresh cornmeal into skillet to cover bottom of skillet and up sides. Pour cornbread mixture into skillet. Cook for 18-20 minutes. ENJOY!
Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM

I buy a regular size corn bread mix and make according to directions then add a jiffy yellow cake mix to tne mixture tastes yummy
Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 PM

I agree.. true southern cornbread is NOT sweet..
I prefer a course ground cornmeal. I use no flour and buttermilk is a must
A cast iron skillet is the preferred pan as well.. preheat the skillet ( @ Tablespoon or two of oil in the skillet , until it is nice and hot and pour oil into the the batter and the batter into the hot pan.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:24 PM

For ease and good taste, I vote Jiffy also!! Pretty much the only thing I can find in AZ.