Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need Recipe for Garlic Mashed Potatoes >

Need Recipe for Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Need Recipe for Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Old 12-04-2011, 07:28 AM

Just make the potatoes the way you usually make them, but toss into the water with the potatoes approximately one garlic clove for every two potatoes. Mash it into the potatoes along with the butter and cream and salt to taste with garlic salt. I like to use red potatoes, and I leave the skins on. My son says his mom makes the best mashed potatoes. When I told him everybody thinks their mom's potatoes are best, he responded, "Well...they're wrong!". Does he know how to get on his mom's good side, or what?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:30 AM

This is from Country Woman, Nov./Dec. 2002 and is a big hit with all who eat it.
6 med. potatoes
Old 12-04-2011, 09:32 AM

This is from Country Woman, Nov./Dec. 2002 and is a big hit with all who eat it.
6 med. potatoes, 1 clove minced garlic, 6 Tbs. butter, divided, 1 cup whipping cream, 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes, 1 tsp. dried tarragon, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper. As potatoes cook saute garlic in 2 Tbs. butter. Add garlic mixture and other ingredients , mash until smooth.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:59 AM

Here is a recipe my friend uses every Christmas for her Pizza Parlor's Christmas party. It is great that you make this in advance.

Make-Ahead Mashed Potato Casserole:

Cook, drain and mash 8-10 Potatoes

Add :
  • 8 oz. Sour Cream
  • 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion or chives
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • Dash of Pepper
Spoon into a buttered 2 quart Casserole dish. Sprinkle with Paprika. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for 2-3 days. Remove from fridge for 15 minutes before baking. Bake uncovered at 350F for 30-45 minutes or until heated through
Old 12-04-2011, 11:12 AM

I usually put my garlic to boil with the potatoes and just mash them with lots of butter and cream or 1/2 and half. It is delicious! If I have left overs, I make them into potato pancakes and serve them with apple sauce when I make pork chops. Yum!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:10 PM

I have used this recipe and my family and grandchildren LOVE it! It is called Slow-Cooked Garlic Smashed Potatoes. It is great because it is cooked and stays hot in a crock pot!

http://www.pillsbury.com/Recipes/Sho...aspx?rId=14068

Old 12-04-2011, 04:17 PM

1 potatoe to each person, use lots of butter and a little parsley flakes and garlic salt , my son makes these and they are the best , sometimes he will put bacon bits in them , so good , not bac-os , the real thing lol
Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by janice1120 View Post
The holidays are here. I need a simple, easy recipe for Garlic Mashed Potatoes for 15-20 people. Can anyone help me? Thanks
Just peel enough potatoes as desired but slice (don't mince) two or three (or more) fresh garlic cloves and add the garlic to your potatoes as they cook. Then mash with milk, butter, cream cheese, salt and pepper etc - voila, the garlic is then cooked and will mash nicely with your potatoes. Can do this ahead - just put in buttered casserole dish, refrigerate until ready to bake at 350 for 45 to 60 minutes (dot with butter first). Delicious!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:28 AM

I roast a whole head of garlic first. Cut the top off the head of garlic, no need to peel. Wrap in aluminum foil up to where you cut the head off and drizzle olive oil over the top. Roast at 400 degrees F until the cloves are soft when you squeeze it, usually 20mins. After it cools, you squeeze all the garlic pulp out of the head and stir that into your mashed potatoes. The roasting gives the garlic a wonderful flavor and takes the sharpness and bitterness out of the garlic.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Here is a recipe my friend uses every Christmas for her Pizza Parlor's Christmas party. It is great that you make this in advance.

Make-Ahead Mashed Potato Casserole:

Cook, drain and mash 8-10 Potatoes

Add :
  • 8 oz. Sour Cream
  • 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion or chives
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • Dash of Pepper
Spoon into a buttered 2 quart Casserole dish. Sprinkle with Paprika. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for 2-3 days. Remove from fridge for 15 minutes before baking. Bake uncovered at 350F for 30-45 minutes or until heated through
This recipes sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing. Just printed out to make soon.