Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need Recipes for Diabetics >

Need Recipes for Diabetics

Need Recipes for Diabetics

Old 03-11-2017, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

Default Need Recipes for Diabetics

I know I can look them up online. But what I am wanting are recipes that you have actually tried and truly like.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:12 PM

I do a 'no refined flour; no refined sugar' diet that is very similar to a diabetic diet. I still each fruits/veggies that I know are not allowed on most diabetic diets, however. I replace some flour requirements with corn starch and use Splenda in place of sugar for those recipes that require it. The Splenda measures the same as regular sugar. The corn starch doesn't hold together quite as well as flour but for some things is doable. Try to take a look at the 'no flour; no sugar' diet/cookbooks by Dr. Peter Gott. Perhaps some of those would appeal to you.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:52 PM

If its hard to figure no flour, no sugar like NJ Quilter recommends, then try to eat foods that look like food in their original form. If you don't recognize it don't eat it. ie eat strawberries, not strawberry pie. eat peanuts, not peanut butter, eat broccoli, not creamed broccoli, eat steak, not meat loaf. One other simplification can be stated as "reduce/eliminate carbohydrates". These basic tips are all related (foods that contain sugar and/or starch). And they should help you select any recipe that is appropriate for you.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:50 PM

My DH has been Diabetic for 16 years, and is still fine with testing once a day and feels good. This is what we did quite some time ago: We quit Splenda and all artificial sugars as we kept reading the are bad for us.

So I reduce sugar by 1/2, and it doesn't effect the baking process, and his readings are within guidelines from the dr. He say to average 150 and AIC of 7.0 is good.
His last trip to the dr. he was 7.1 AIC and everything else was okay.
That is the big thing is to cut sugar in recipes by 1/2. I also push fresh fruit and veggies.

There has been a lot said around here that the artificial sugars are not good for us.
Good luck!
Mariah
Old 03-12-2017, 04:25 AM

Zucchini Noodles with Cilantro Lime Chicken

Ingredients
  • 3 large zucchini
  • 1.5 lbs boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp salt, divided
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 2 tsp any small hot pepper/jalapeņo or to taste, seeded and minced (leave seeds in for very hot version)
  • Juice of 1 medium or 1/2 large lime
  • 3/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • Cooking spray
Directions
1. Using a spiralizer or mandoline, make zucchini noodles, transfer into a large bowl and set aside. You can also chop zucchini into any size pieces, if you don't have the gadgets for making zucchini noodles.
2. Preheat large non-stick skillet on high heat and add chicken. Saute until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add cumin, 1/2 tsp salt and ground black pepper towards the end, stir and cook for another minute. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
3. Wipe clean or wash and pat dry the skillet and return to the stove on high heat. Spray with cooking spray and add zucchini noodles. Saute for 1.5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and add previously cooked chicken, remaining salt, small hot peppers/jalapeņos, lime juice and cilantro. Stir gently and serve hot.
Storage Instructions: Refrigerate covered for up to 48 hours.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:27 AM

Lemon Chicken

Zest of 2 lemons
Juice of 2 lemons
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
Heaping teaspoon salt
Heaping teaspoon black pepper

5 pounds bone-in, skin-on, chicken thighs or drumsticks

Combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in a large zipper-lock plastic bag. Seal the bag and shake well to blend. Place the chicken pieces in the bag with the marinade, pressing out excess air and sealing once more. Refrigerate and let marinate for 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 425˚F. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and transfer to a baking dish, skin-side up, reserving the leftover marinade. Halfway through baking, pour the remaining marinade over the chicken pieces in the baking dish.

Bake for 50-55 minutes, until the skins are crispy and well-browned. Once fully baked, remove from pan into a serving dish, cover loosely with foil, and let the chicken rest for ten minutes before serving.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

My friend is diabetic and had a hard time, had to start taking insulin because she couldn't regulate her sugar levels. She started following a meal plan designed by a woman and she is almost off her meds. I don't know the name of it but will find out. She is the happiest I've seen her in years.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:26 PM

Onebyone, that is fantastic about your friend, good for her. Sure would like to know more about her 'way of eating' for better health. We all can use a little boost in the right direction to eat better.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:32 PM

This is what I've heard : if it comes FROM a plant, eat it. If it's MADE in a plant, don't eat it.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:57 PM

We have tried to new sugar free Cake and muffin mixes put out by Pillsbury. Brownie mix too. They are delicious.