Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Oh Yuck, and the What to make for Dinner Question... and what do you do with Leftovers? >

Oh Yuck, and the What to make for Dinner Question... and what do you do with Leftovers?

Oh Yuck, and the What to make for Dinner Question... and what do you do with Leftovers?

Old 07-11-2008, 10:12 AM

leftover soup is the perfect liquid for cooking rice. throw in some extra herbs, and it becomes "special"
Old 07-11-2008, 10:43 AM

Moonpi, I wondered if that would work, but the veggies, noodles or what have you wouldn't they get kinda mushy and gross?

My biggest stubbling block is the leftover spilt pea soup I have in the freezer. I made it after I'd made a ham, with the bone, leftovers ect. but then DH tells me he doesn't really like split pea, and now there it is in there... UGH....
Old 07-11-2008, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
Moonpi, I wondered if that would work, but the veggies, noodles or what have you wouldn't they get kinda mushy and gross?

My biggest stubbling block is the leftover spilt pea soup I have in the freezer. I made it after I'd made a ham, with the bone, leftovers ect. but then DH tells me he doesn't really like split pea, and now there it is in there... UGH....
If we lived closer my Dh would take that off your hands :)
Old 03-25-2010, 05:59 PM

I take left over spaghetti, mix the sauce in, throw it in a pan, sprinkle Parmesan over it and top it with Mozzarella. Then I bake it until its hot and the cheese is all gooey. My DD LOVES my spaghetti pie.

Left over Vegetable soup? I strain the vegetables out, add a little more meat, mix some of the broth with instant potatoes and put it all in a pie crust and bake. Voila! Homemade pot pie.

Left over chili, I add macaroni and we have Chili Mac

Mom used to make something she called Refriderator Clean Out. She'd take all the meat (it would only be beef or pork) chop it in with the vegetables, stir in the left over gravy, top with biscuits and bake.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:26 AM

what i do with left over soup (picky hubby won't know) is add more vegatables, thicken, pour into pie crust top with another pie crust and score bake 1 hour and TADA you have your first homemade potpie. hehehehe Silly men
Old 04-01-2010, 04:10 PM

i eat leftovers till they r all gone
then i start something new
Old 04-03-2010, 04:57 AM

I think eating leftovers ought to be part of the wedding vows!

If your soup noodles and veggies are a little on the overcooked side or would become so with further cooking, just remove them and (sadly) discard them or use the veggies in a pot pie or mix them in with the dog's food. You could freeze the soup and bring it out a month or so later and let everyone think you made it from scratch again. I would offer your leftover pea soup to a neighbor (wish we were neighbors). All the other suggestions are things I've done and they turn out really good. You could always forget the leftovers for today and just make breakfast for dinner. Love that.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Power Poster

It's just me so I make a big pot of vegetable soup and eat it til it's gone. I never ger tired of it.