Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
OK All you Electric pressure cooker owners >

OK All you Electric pressure cooker owners

OK All you Electric pressure cooker owners

Old 10-16-2016, 12:27 AM

I used to can chicken and beef in my mother-in-laws on the stove pressure cooker. Are the electric pressure cookers oked for meat??
Old 10-16-2016, 03:57 AM

I made lemon curd Friday and will make it again. Haven't tried cheesecake but have it on my list.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:13 AM

Hello Friend ~

After reading your post, I think I need pressure cooking suggestions from you!!!! Desserts in the pressure cooker? I've never tried desserts in a pressure cooker!

I've cooked nearly 50 years in first the stove top for about 45 of those years. Now I prefer the electric Instant Pot primarily because this model has the stainless steel inserts vs. non-stick.

What I LOVE about the electric is the 'set it and forget it' ease of use. My wonderful stove-top, I never felt I could leave without babysitting the pressure valve, in other words being where I could 'hear' the valve. With the electric it can be set and I can go outside to garden (pull weeds :0) or I can be in another room (sewing room :0) for extended periods without having to listen to the stove top pressure cooker. When the pressure cooking function is complete it then reverts to warming function. Yesterday I got 'lost' in my sewing room and 2 hours after the the pressure cooking was complete the pork roast was still at serving temperature just waiting to be served.

I ordered an extra stainless steel insert, so I'm able to take the meat insert out of the pressure cooker and replace with for example potatoes to have mashed potatoes in 15 minutes. Or for Thanksgiving making your mashed potatoes for the crowd and keeping them the perfect temp on the slow cooker mode.

I will never make hard boiled eggs any other way than in the pressure cooker! Who knew? Perfectly done eggs with no green around yolk. 8 minutes here at high altitude and even the freshest eggs the peels literally fall off the eggs!

Electric does everything the stove top does, as far as meats other than what has been mentioned so far, corned beef is out of this world.

Yes, indeed the list goes on and on... Give me a call and we can chat, quilts, pressure cookers and about our puppies and the list goes on and on! (((Hugs)))
Old 10-16-2016, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by janjj View Post
I used to can chicken and beef in my mother-in-laws on the stove pressure cooker. Are the electric pressure cookers oked for meat??
JANJJ ~ I have read that electric pressure cooker manufacturers DO NOT recommend using for canning. I know that QVC demonstrates an electric model they sell or sold that they propose can be used for canning.

I personally would do a lot of research about that before I invested in an electric pressure cooker for canning. Pressure CANNING cookers, which to the best of my knowledge are only stove-top models, and are specifically made for canning are the only type I would trust to do pressure canning in.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 10-16-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:31 AM

Hi Linda ~ Would love to have that recipe! Lemon Curd haven't had that since we visited England!
Old 10-16-2016, 02:57 PM

Go to www.happybellyfoodie.com she is fantastic and great recipes along with videos. my go to place for electric pressure cooker recipes
Old 10-24-2016, 04:02 AM

Electric pressure cookers can do good things in the kitchen,but not all. Maybe I have just been cooking too long & prefer to use old ways......
A lot of recipes cook faster,but they don't mention time coming to pressure needs to be added & usually some time for pressure to drop.

Veggies & soups ,roasts,steel cut oats,some pasta dishes.....are fine. Wasn't thrilled with the texture of cakes,so will stick with the oven for baking. Just my own opinion for what it's worth.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

Sounds interesting. Question - if you make a soup or stew or something that gives off a lot of fat, and you want to eat it that night, how do you skim all the fat off? I've never had much luck with a lettuce leaf, or a spoon. A long time ago I had a top of Stove pressure cooker and used it a few times, but then I couldn't get the fat off. I'd end up putting the food in the frig over night til the fat got hard and could be lifted off, which I figured I didn't need a pressure cooker for. It was a long time ago. I gave it to a friend maybe 30 years ago and he still uses it and just had to change the gasket about 15 years in. Never a mishap. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:35 AM

Default Best Kitchen equipment ever!

I use my electric pressure cooker for everything. It's never removed from my counter top and I'm finding I use my range less and less. I haven't had my oven on in two years. The last time I used my oven was to run a test - oven baked meatloaf vs pressure cooked meatloaf. The Pressure cooked version won hands down and so has everything else, I've tested.

I use the rack that came with the cooker to keep the grease at the bottom away from the meat and it works to perfection for baking as well. I bake bread, cakes, brownies, cornbread and anything else that would normally be done in the oven, by using the rack and a dish that fits inside the cooker covered with foil. The rack keeps the dish up out of the water and the foil keeps the stream off the bread or brownies. I've found I can use any old family recipe, with a bit of experimenting it can be cooked in my pressure cooker. The one piece of equipment I cannot live without - it's used with every meal I prepare.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:56 PM

My electric pressure cooker almost always stays on the counter because I use it so often. Some things I make: pork chops w/ gravy (NO cream soup required), pork chops w/ carrots and potatoes, mashed potatoes, mac n cheese, rice pudding, rice pilaf, cilantro lime rice, cheesecake, one pot spaghetti, chicken fajita pasta, one pot stroganoff, chicken & wild rice soup, potato soup, chili, unstuffed cabbage, cubed steaks w/ gravy, ham & beans, chicken curry...